jeep viberates

jeep00

Hi, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, that viberates when I reach speeds around 55-60mph. I have bought new tires and I balance and rotate them regulary. I don't know what else it could be, I'm not very machnacial. It also viberates the steering wheel when I first apply the break, I have replaced the front pads and rotors. Any help with these problems would be great!!

Thanks,
Nick

Hi,

Does the Jeep have a lift on it? The newer Cherokees wil develope vibrations if the transfer case isn't lowered after installing a lift kit.

Also might check for loose bolts on the front axle components (track bar, tie rods, etc.)

-Nick :!:

hi, first time poster, current ride is a 2000 Cherokee Classic owner. Previous (rip) was an 83 cj-7.

I think that this is a more common occurence then is thought with XJ's. I'm no mechanic but my unlifted, bone stock XJ has this same vibration problem. My friend has an XJ and his does it as well. We've both balanced, rotated and even replaced the tires.

I talked to a mechanic at the local Jeep dealership to try and see if there was a recall or a common fix because I had heard of this problem on several different occasions.

So, what can be done about it? Do we need to get a petition going for Jeep to look into the problem and fix it? Storm the factory with pitchforks and burning torches?

I'd love to figure this out because I want this Jeep to last me forever, but this vibration is driving me nuts.

Jeep needs to do many things to improve customer confidence. I have a 1995 4.0 ZJ and I have had my exhaust manifold crack twice on me and it is about 500 dollars to get that fixed and I know every other jeep has this problem but they have not made an effort to take accountability for there mistake. It is a very sound SUV and I would buy another one but they have any small things that happen that add up to a lot of money. I have had three power window switches go out it may have been by fault do to water, armor all ect. but they are 80 dollars a piece, but my jeep also has vibration at that speed and does not take bumps like I think it should, but oh well it gets me from point A to point B.

No, my jeep doesn't have a lift. Is the driveshaft the only possable problem and if so how much does that cost to fix and could me and a buddy of mine do it ourselves?

You may be able to have the driveshafts balanced rather than have to buy entire new ones. I'm not sure where you can get them balanced though, I've never had a problem with my driveshafts :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

You may be having the same problem I was. Evidentally many cherokees get alignment wobbles as well. If your steering wheel is wobbling then it could also be your tie rods or alignment.

Otherwise it could be your driveshaft as everyone suggested.

jeep00 said:
I have bought new tires and I balance and rotate them regulary.

We've both balanced, rotated and even replaced the tires

yup, we've all tried that. It's got to be something different then that.

DO I need to replace the driveshaft? I don't know enough about them to know. Is balancing it sufficient or should I just replace it? Is there an aftermarket manufacturere of driveshafts that anyone recommends? If it is a driveshaft problem that needs to be replaced I don't think I'm going to use OEM jeep parts.

Does anybody know ow much it cost to balance a driveshaft? Is it cheeper to balance one or buy a new one? Should I go ahead and replace the U-joints too?

thanks,
Nick

If vibration happens when you brake check the rear break drums. I busted my rear drum and when i started to break from around 55 mph my steering wheel chattered backa and forth like no other, i had the drum replaced and the vibration went away. A cv driveshaft is around $250- $300. Vibration does come from driveline angle if a lift is there. Transfer case drops and longer driveshaft will help remove the vibration. Stock U-joints will work fine it up to you if you want to replace them. I couldn't tell you about re-alignment of a drive shaft or if its possible. I would also check the tie-rod like someone else here stated it could be bent, but i doubt it would create vibration, it would put steering wheel alignment out.

good luck to find the problem!!!

Jeep changed the transfer case rear output in XJ's in '97, so they tend to vibrate with less lift than pre-'97 XJ's. A good friend of mine's '99 XJ had a driveline vibration from the factory with the stock 1" UpCountry suspension package. He tried for a SYE from Jeep, but the dealership's fix was to lower the transfer case slightly. It's easy to lower .5" at home, we did it when lifting our '98 3".

XJ's are known for easily warping the front rotors, so if you have a steering wheel vibration during braking, that's it.

Back