Jeep won't start???

jhiggins

Ok it's a 88 YJ 4.2 ... Here is the deal it starts sometimes
and not others...I turn the key forward and it just goes
Click one time and that is it. And if I let the pressure
off the key a little bit it will start???? Any ideas ??? :-?

edited by: jhiggins, Jul 12, 2003 - 02:18 PM[addsig]

Sounds like an ignition switch or a starter going bad. Hope that helps Evan[addsig]

hey jhiggins are you sure its not the starter? It sounds like yurs is doing the same as mine was. I replaced the starter and it starts everytime like new. When it does start is it kinda of a weak slow start? You might also try cleaning your connections at the battery and at the starter.
:) Just some ideas

~~CHRIS~~[addsig]

It just started today all of the sudden after no warning
The starter is good I will clean my conections though..... :-D [addsig]

It is probably going to be one of these- a low battery charge ; a bad ignition switch, or your starter. Also, you may want to check the connections to the battery and also the connections on your starter. -Al[addsig]

Thanks for the input guys I willl let you all know how
it turns out...hopefully I make it home....hahahaha :-D [addsig]

remember... the starter relay is a mechanical/electrical device... if ANY dirt gets inside there... it can hurt your connection... it may often take one turn to knock something away so the connection can be made... a relay works by your ignition switch setting off an electromagnet inside which pulls a connection together which will allow current to run into the starter... if there is something interrupting the connection inside the relay, it will not turn over.. and that is what the click you hear can often be, it can be the switch inside the relay flipping but not making a good connection... tap on the relay on the starter when that happens, and move the connections on it to see if that helps... if not... you can replace it.... often times, the relay is built onto the starter... but contrary to what the dealerships say, you can bypass that one and hook up one of you own to save some bucks, and it works just as well...

hope you getter goin[addsig]

Quick way to determine if it's your battery is to try starting it with the headlights on. If they dim, then it's a battery problem (not neccessarily a bad battery, but it will tell you where to start looking) .

If it does it to you and won't start, give the starter a good whack with something (hammer, tire iron etc) If it turns over after you smack it, it's the starter.

As for the pressure thing it sounds like the switch, although since thats the most difficult thing to fix, try the other things first.

Rob :p :cool: :)

edited by: PASmokeater, Jul 13, 2003 - 06:09 AM[addsig]

I don't think the ignition switch is causing any problems, since you hear a click. The click is either the starter relay or solenoid engaging. When you are holding the key in START position, the relay is getting power but the starter may be stuck. As you decrease the pressure on the key and reach the end of the START position contact, it will arc. This arcing can cause a voltage spike, just enough to get the starter to work.

So, be sure the starter isn't getting frozen and not turning. One way to tell is when it clicks but doesn't start, does the starter motor hum or get hot? If so, get a new starter.

-Nick :-D

edited by: XJNick, Jul 13, 2003 - 08:54 AM[addsig]

Well it wouyldn't start today ....so I
hit the colum and it started up.....any
ideas...???[addsig]

When it doesn't start, do you hear a click or is everything just quiet?? I thought you said you still heard a relay click when it wouldn't start?

edited by: XJNick, Jul 13, 2003 - 12:19 PM[addsig]

Go with Snitty's (XJNick's is great too) suggestion 1st, the starter relay. My '84 quit starting for me Friday. It just clicked a couple times like the battery was low. After check'n a few wires and the volts at the battery I fiddled (smakked it with a wrench and cussed at it) with the relay and it came to life. I picked up a new one for $10 at GI Joes and it took 10 minutes to replace. Seems like most times when I replace a starter that just "clicks", or a buddy does, it turns out to be a wire or the relay. This goes for cars, trucks, farm tractors, jeeps too. Even if your'e relay is mounted to the starter it would be a cheaper place to start.

Also, check for loose battery cables. If there is any white corrosion where the wire attaches to the lead connector, replace the cable. This is a good place to lose amperage, causing similar simptoms to what you described.

Sometimes replacing the starter only masks these types of problems, or fixes them temporarily. A new starter is generally stronger and requires less juice to crank.

Only now after crankin on the key a bunch of times, I busted the mechanisim in column that connects the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. But that'll be another thread.

Good Luck

edited by: Jeepskate, Jul 13, 2003 - 01:38 PM[addsig]

Only now after crankin on the key a bunch of times, I busted the mechanisim in column that connects the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. But that'll be another thread.

Just thank gowd its a jeep and not a land Rover Discovery...wife broke the key off in her LR and it set me back 8 big ones... labor was only 100$[addsig]

My buddy had the same prob on the same jeep it turned out to be a loose conection on the resister that comes off the coil. simple to fix, I'd check it out. Worth a try. If thats not it i'd go with the ignition switch theory.

edited by: flyboy, Jul 15, 2003 - 12:03 AM[addsig]

I will give it a good check ...And let ya'll know what it turns
out to be thanks for all the good sugestions....... :-D :-D [addsig]

My money is on Gremlins. I had a similar incident with a mustang, new battery, new starter, new coil, click and then nothing. Finally raped the column and got the switch out, replaced it and it worked like a charm. Of course try this one on for size. Scenario: I was out and about, decided to go to a local strip club, I get there and park, turn the key to the off position and the jeep stayed running, I even took the key out. Put in in reverse, back outta the parking space, pulled back in, put the key in and turned it back on, then back off and low and behold, it actually cut off. Never happened again, and I didn't fix or break anything. GREMLINS
[addsig]

Back