Just a couple U-Joint questions

Jesse

First, what do you think of this u-joint? Do you think it should be replaced eventually? If so, are they any you'd recommend? I just did a ford 8.8 swap if that effects anything. Also, I noticed that most the U-Joint cups have snap rings holding them in, but I'm missing two. I haven't driven my Jeep without them, do you think i should get them before I start driving? Where could I get them? Dealership? Thank you for your response & time.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
What I'm asking is if you think it looks like it should be replaced, and if I need the snap ring or not.

Snap ring is very important. The centrifugal force will spit the caps out. Its to hard to tell by picture all the caps should rotate smoothly with very little play. If there is a rough spot or rust on the races or needles it should be replaced.

Do you think parts places like Napa would have the snap rings? Everything spins fine, it's more a question of how the bottom of the cup looks.

So I'd have to get a new u joint to get new snap rings? Alright. Thanks for your responses.

Okay so I got a new u joint, now the problem I am having is removing the old one. It seems like it's rusted in there. What is the best/easiest way to remove it while it is still on the Jeep? Also, I already tried the hammer & socket method & that didn't move it at all.

take the drive shaft out of the jeep and put it in a vice and use the hammer and socket ive never takein them out with the drive shaft still on the jeep the shaft moves to much the shaft has got to be solid so u dont lose all the force of the hammer or u can get a tool for takeing the u joint out

The shaft is pretty solid on the jeep right now... I bought some PB blaster & got it nice & soaked a couple times & it still didn't budge so i soaked it again & i'm going to let it rest over night. Any other suggestions?

2# hammer and 5/8 socket on a good work bench with a vice open wide enough for bearing race to slide in hold the 5/8 socket with vice grip set socket on top of race and knock the hell out of it something will give.
I did all mine in 4 hours last week u will never get them if you don't take that drive line out from under the jeep just pull it forward if it's the front one

I was really trying to avoid removing the rear driveshaft, but I guess i have to..

A u joint is like 10 bucks if you question it change it
clips should be available at just about any auto part store
u joints are easy to change
tools needed:
vice To hold drive shaft
hammer and
1/2 inch deep socket to remove u joint

You will never do it under that jeep you can't swing that hammer u really have to hit that thing I jacked up an old socket when I did mine

Attachments

• image-3022449320.jpg
    image-3022449320.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image-856465451.jpg
    image-856465451.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 159

Jesse said:
It was coming out fine while it was still on the Jeep for awhile. Then I got to a certain cap that was rusted on.

But your on your back for how long vers 8 bolts pull it out and do it on a bench where you can think and stand up

Back