Just got a 97' cherokee sport

Jeep4

Automatic,4x4,4 door. It's going to be a daily driver, however I love the lifted look. I want to go with a 4 or 4.5 lift. Are there bolt on kits fir 4.5 or do they require bracket welding? Any lift anyone care to recommend? I've looked around and lots of mixed reviews. Thanks in advance

there are many 4 to 4.5 inch lifts for xj's. rusty's offroad makes nice lift kits. i would recomend not going over 4 inches unless you go with a long arm lift otherwise the ride quality goes way down.. i would also say get full replacement rear springs instead of add a leafs and blocks. it costs a little more but the ride will be much better and the leaf pack will last longer and flex better.. what size tires are you looking to run? a 4 inch lift should clear 31's or 32's depending on the width and rim and how hard it will be wheeled..

I want to stay away from add ons and blocks. Maybe 3.5 or 4 is best. I was just looking fir a complete kit that requires no air tool or welding. Is like to go with 32" tires but dunno the backspacing/offset are for these cars. I'm guessing at 3.5 I shouldn't need a SYE?

The Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride kit is very nice and rides well. Get one with rear replacement springs and not a add a leaf.

You will need a 4" or 4.5" kit to clear 32" tires, lots of good kits out there. You may be able to get by with simply lowering the transfer case crossmember 1/2" instead of needing a SYE.

FYI you can do a hack and tap SYE for under $100 and often just bolt in a stock front CV driveshaft in the rear after installing a flange adapter. I install them often.

you wont need a sye with a 4 or 4,5 inch lift.. i have friends running 6+ inches of lift with out sye.. just drop the tcase 1/2" OR 1" and you will be fine

I ran the Rubicon 4.5 with 33s for a while and liked it. Only bad thing about the Rubicon stuff is you have to use their bushing if you ever need to replace them. I would recommend Rusty's, drop the t-case 1" and run the stock driveshaft.

That's load off of my mind, but why is it that every site says SYE "required" For 4.5 lifts? Is it just to cover their ass and make money?

alot of companys recommend it instead of a tcase drop bracket. with the sye you wont lose that 1" on ground clearance under you tcase. i run a 1" tcase drop and a sye with about 9" of lift on my xj without any vibrations.

Not sure I'd want to go that high. Hope you're not running stock axles. I was breaking shafts with my 33's. Of course most people don't drive like me. I'm running 60's now with 7-8" of lift and 35's and the full width axles help a lot with stability, but I'm still pretty top heavy.

as of now i have a stock 30 in the front with a d44 in the rear.. soon i will have a 44 in the front and either a 14 bolt or 60 in the rear

For the money you can't beat the Rough Country stuff but if you can spend a little more and get a complete kit like Rusty's, Rubicon Express and if you can afford it Rock Krawler. The Rock Krawler triple threat is sick but at a price.

rough country lifts are ok.. if it was me i would save up a little bit more and go with a rusty's lift.. there lifts ride alot better and work better offroad. they do alot more off and on road testing (abusing) of their parts before they put the kit up forsale.. i run a rustys lift and love it!

rough country lifts are ok.. if it was me i would save up a little bit more and go with a rusty's lift.. there lifts ride alot better and work better offroad. they do alot more off and on road testing (abusing) of their parts before they put the kit up forsale.. i run a rustys lift and love it!

the rusty's kit i had was not so good, the rear springs sagged in 2 months, no customer service, either :(... i had to buy the extra leafs, then 2 years later snaped them on the road, bent like a S.... the front / rear springs others have bought went south as well.... so no more rustys, cheap is cheap... i bought all r.e.& tear flex and it holds up well !

can't speak for r/c, or rock krawler

Back