Keep the 35 or get a 44

UrbanJeep

I am not doing any serious wheelin but when I start doin the mods I want to make sure nothing breaks.... My Tj has the Dana 35 in the rear and no LSD...I was lookin around and someone made a beef up kit for the 35 and it came with a Detroit Locker soft locker. the cost was about 950.00.. they a kit too for the dana 30 which i belive is the front as well... but I think i am going to just get the soft locker for the front anyway...but just the locker alone costs...530.00

any suggestions
image-missing.png
[addsig]

What about Powertrax?

I think they are less money and they sound real sweet...

www.powertrax.com

But I don't know have personal experience with them..

Anybody else using them out there? I'd like to hear some reviews...

image-missing.png

I also have the same questions about the axels... 30, 35, 44 [addsig]

I personally would get a Dana 44. You still would have that weak housing and a big waste of money on the dana 35. [addsig]

I don´t really know about the TJ´s but the bad rap for the 35 in the YJ´s and XJ´s was usually sometimes loose fit between the pinion and the ring gear (poor setup and tolerances from the factory) sometimes poor wear from the spider gears and the carrier bearings seemed to wear early. The wheel bearings seem to hold up pretty good, pinion bearings seem to last. All in all, the bad rap seems to be more poor assembly and some inferior parts. A quick test of the clearances between the pinion and ring gear, check wear on the spider gears, install a good limited slip and replace the carrier bearings, add an axle truss and run it till it breaks. Probably break something else first. Richmond gear in Georgia, could probably give you a no B.S. assesment, and seem to be hobby builder and customer friendly (though not the cheapest).[addsig]

get the dana44 the dana35 is held together with c clips and when it snaps the tire and axle comes off your jeep... try not to get 44 off a scout they are week... look for waggy axles the have more splines on the shafts which makes them stronger....

laters

91 YJ used to be on 35 MTRs now

dana44 front & GM14 bolt rear with 39.5x15x16.5 wheelbase 100" 10" of lift

jeeper creeper[addsig]

My XJ has a 44 rear and a factory limited slip (heavy duty trailer towing package) don´t know about the C-clips, haven´t had it open yet. It´s only a little wider than my YJ´s rear axle. Might be worth checking into, low mileage wrecked XJ´s at the junk yards. I did seperate the two peices(the inside broke off of the outside and bent it some) of a rim on my YJ (hit a rock driving to fast). C-clips still in there.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 90 XJ with a Factory towingbut MINE is a Dana 35 !!!!!!! grrr you are sooo luck if you have an XJ with a 44

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> My XJ has a 44 rear and a factory limited slip (heavy duty trailer towing package) don´t know about the C-clips, haven´t had it open yet. It´s only a little wider than my YJ´s rear axle. Might be worth checking into, low mileage wrecked XJ´s at the junk yards. I did seperate the two peices(the inside broke off of the outside and bent it some) of a rim on my YJ (hit a rock driving to fast). C-clips still in there.
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>[addsig]

well does anyone know the cost of a M44 from a junkyard would prob. cost since i am NOT going to buy a new M44.[addsig]

If it works don't fix it. You may someday need to go to a different anything! Untill that day comes just run on with what you have. I see you said you do not do much wheeling then you are a good bet that your not going to break anything with general road use and light off road use. save your money and then fix what needs fixen! Tug[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>If it works don't fix it. You may someday need to go to a different anything! Untill that day comes just run on with what you have. I see you said you do not do much wheeling then you are a good bet that your not going to break anything with general road use and light off road use. save your money and then fix what needs fixen! Tug</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

my big beef is that my rear end slides all over the place in the snow which means that either the loc-trac option wasn't on my jeep or its not doing ao good enough job. I saw the detroit lockers avail. but they change the gear ratio dramatically... and if it does don't i have to do the front as well?[addsig]

i am running 32 inch tires on stock dana 35's without much problem....my only beef is lack of power but that is a gearing issue.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back