Leaf Springs

JTR0569

Just bought new OME 2.5" leaf springs. Going to install tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this as easy and painless as possible?

1, spray all the bolts your going to remove for a day or two with BP before you try to remove the bolts.
2, Make sure you have every tool you need BEFORE you start.
3,Make sure your jack stands are tall enough.
4,Take your time.
5,Retighting every bolt after 100 miles

Pay someone else to do it.

The only issue you will have is the spring mount bolts will probably be seized in the bushing sleeve. my little trick to getting them out is as follows:

take the nut off
put another nut on, then I install my bolt smasher outer tool
sinch the two together and spend the next 5 minutes smashing out the bolt with my mini sledge.

Now my bolt smasher out tool is nothing more than a nut with a 4"x4" piece of 1/4 steel welded to it. when I thread it on, I thread till it bottoms out, then 1/2 turn back, then use the other nut to secure it (double nutting) don't want to bottom it out, will mushroom the threads.

Thank you booth for the suggestions especially:

"Pay someone else to do it"

I have new shackles and "U" bolts so maybe that will save some aggrivation and skinned knucles

{Pay someone else to do it} yes, he's simply a delightful person to deal with.

The best thing i can suggest is buy all new bolts and nuts,, Must be grade 8. Get a good angle grinder and just start cutting. I cut the leafsprings first, left about 6 inches from the bolt, then wack the 6 inches that are left with BFH this helps to break the inner sleeve in the bushing. Then try the bolts. If they do not move use the angle grinder agian and just cut the bolts on the inside of the leaf mounts. Also use some heat on the bolts that helps. Now with that said, after doing mine I suggest replacing the shackles and shocks at the same time. However replacing the shocks often means broken bolts.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone...........spent all day yesterday putting on the new leaf springs and shackles. All said and done I only had to cut two bolts, but in the process the cut-off wheel blew apart and took two of my fingernails with it.

I like the additional 2.5" and it rides much better now that i am rid of the saggy stock springs. I have noticed a little vibration now, should i have lowered the transfer case?

I'm installing new stock front leaf springs on my 89 yj.I have the spring in position pivot and shackle bolts in.When i lower the axle jack to install the u bolts to the spring plate it will not line up so i can put on washers and nuts.Need help

did you adjust your pinion angle for the new ride height? jtr0569

This is the first major mod I did myself, and me and wife (yeah, she used to help me with Jeep stuff back then!) did it in a weekend without any major issues.

>spent all day yesterday putting on the new leaf springs and shackles.

everything bathed liberally in anti-seize or grease once of prevention stacking the odds you don't have to go thru the evil ordeal again.

ugly with water hating lube.

i ha some vibration on mine with the 3 inch lift i started found some shims and it seemed to go away. the 4 inch lift i have now came with shims to correct it. it might be your prob.

Back