Leaks & Steam

1987BlackJeep

So, I had written a few days ago about oil leaks. . . it appears
that my PVC and hose swap helped a lot in that regard.

But, when I pulled into work today, 30 miles from home, there
was steam coming from the engine. . . i looked at there was a
lot of liquid all over the front of the engine. . . around and below
PVC. I think it was coolant. . . it was green.
Is coolant backing up. . .?
Should I pull the thermostat? [addsig]

What was your temperature during driving? antifreeze is green and you may have blown a hose during overheating if your thermostat was stuck. Take out your thermostat and put it on the stove in a pan of water and boil it to over 200 degrees to see if it opens. thermostats are only a few bucks with a new gasket...........Bullet[addsig]

It sounds like you replaced the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve. PVC is that white plumbing pipe from the hardware store. The way to check if it's working is (With the engine off) remove it and shake it. If you hear a rattling ball, it's good. If not, spray it out with Gumout or replace it.

As far as the steam and green fluid. It appears you have a leak in a hose, loose hose clamp, or even a failing water pump. It should be easy to find where it's coming from and that will tell you what to fix.
Note: When there is a leak in the cooling system it acts the same as leaving the radiator cap off. This is a closed pressure system. Which means that all of the hoses, clamps and caps need to be installed and sealed for the Jeep to run cool, if you have a leak not only will it loose coolant (The green stuff) but it will run hot as well. The steam is just the hot coolant exiting the system under pressure. The likelihood of it just being a leak is pretty good.
[addsig]

Yeah Morgster, I replaced the PCV valve and some of the
hose connected thereto.

I sent you a PM with my e-mail on the need of the vacuum hose
diagram.

The new leak is around the area of the replacement hose (i.e. under the air cleaner
assembly).

On my Jeep the PVC hose runs to a T and then splits into two hoses. . . . as stated
the hoses are all F*#&$^$ UP in my jeep. . . somebody mickey moused it for sure :p [addsig]

when i got into my heating problem (fixed now), the radiator was gunked up. try flushing the system, before its too late (and you have to buy a whole new radiator). [addsig]

Yeah I have been thinking of doing a radiator flush. . . as well as an engine flush

there is so much gunk everywhere. . . i changed the oil and it is turns black almost immediately[addsig]

I see your from north Jersey. If your radiator is gunked up and if you have a little cash. Just replace the radiator. If you plan on keeping the jeep it is well worth it. I got a new radiator from Passaic auto radiator on main ave in Passaic, NJ for 125.00. It is esy to replace just remove the hoses and 4 bolts and your done. And transmission lines if you have them. :-D [addsig]

I just sent it again with a picture and an attachment.
Let me know if you got the e-mail and it just didn't get the picture, or you just didn't get the e-mail at all.
I sent it two different times to the address you gave. :cool: [addsig]

A Little Radiator Input.

I spent a little more and bought a "Modine" brand radiator. Installed it myself (Saved some bucks) The benefit was a quality part and the lifetime warranty. After four years it started seeping a small amount of fluid. Without batting an eye, they gave me a new one.
I had always wondered if I should sell my Jeep, but, I've had it so long that most of the major parts I've replaced had a lifetime warranty and there now free.

Jeeping fun and free parts............Gotta Love It.[addsig]

1987Black Jeep:

Again another Jeeper to the rescue.
jay89 posted a link to the same diagram.

Thanks Jay :-D [addsig]

Back