LED 12V lights

laxpug19

I got these (3) led blue lights for the inside of my jeep. It says to hook it up to a 12v source... im gonna do my head lights because when its dark i would want them on... the only thing is how do i do that!?

use the fuse panel, run it off the instrument cluster fuse.

You'll probably still want to put it on a switch after the fuse panel so you can turn them off if you need to

Yes you can, but it's still a good idea to have it on its own switch so you can turn them off while having the other device on. I would personally put them on their own power. There might be times you want your headlights, or fog lights, on without the interior LED. There might be times when you want the interior LED on without the headlights or foglights. It's no tough deal to wire it up to its own power supply. In fact, it will probably be easier and faster

Basically, find a 12v source for the power, and like Snitty said, just hook up a simple switch in-line to control the on/off..........really basic stuff......switches (buttons, toggles, lighted toggles, etc.) are readily available from any car parts store, radio shack, walmart - just about anywhere. Snitty's right......you need to have it switchable just for the variety. If you can get 'er hooked up to a power source, the switching part is easy.

Start at the battery, run a wire to a fuse...
From the fuse to the switch...
From the switch to the lights...
From the lights to ground...
Enjoy

You prolly want to pick another color, as law enforcement frowns upon the use of blue lights for non-cop car use ! It's illegal here, but maybe just another reason to pull you over there.

I know that blue is allowed in NY. Blue is volunteer here. Red is police/fire/ambulance here

You prolly want to pick another color, as law enforcement frowns upon the use of blue lights for non-cop car use ! It's illegal here, but maybe just another reason to pull you over there.

Not a problem on the interior, so long as they cannot be seen directly from the front of the vehicle. Here in Kansas, law states only two colors of lights can be seen from the front of a vehicle, yellow/amber and clear. As far as rear-facing lights, any color goes except clear, except for reverse lights, which by law must be clear.

I ran a 50 amp, 4gauge wire from my battery to the inside of my cab where I created a power access point. from that, I run my accessories. It is basically a positive battery terminal movied into the jeep. I used to run all my accessories to the battery, and it started to get cluttered, having everything O-ringed onto a battery terminal. Either way though, regardless of what I use for my power source, I run a wire from the source to an inline fuse holder (available at any auto parts store for a buck or two) to a switch (sometimes a relay) to the accessory. Then a wire from the accessory to ground. Turn on the switch, enjoy the fun.

...your just getting me more lost.

i know nothing about wiring im 17, the most ive done is a science project with a potatoe and a light bulb.

Step by step...

go to autozone (or similar) and buy:
-14 gauge red wire (20 feet is way more than enough)
-14 gauge black wire (3 feet should easily do it)
-fuse holder with fuse (whatever size the device suggests)
-assorted connecters (ring terminals, spade connectors, etc.)
-wire ties/tape
-switch
-any tools you might not yet have

Disconnect the negative battery terminal

Connect red wire to the positive battery terminal

One to two feet from the battery, cut the red wire and hook it to one side of the fuse holder. This should be place where you can secure it to something so it doesn't flop around

Connect loose red wire to the other side of the fuse holder

Run loose red wire from the fuse holder into the cab

Decide where you want to put a switch

Mount it

Cut red wire off when it reaches the switch and hook it to the "12v" terminal

Hook loose red wire to the other terminal of the switch

Run loose red wire to LED lights

Hook red wire to "12v" on LED lights

Run black wire from "ground" on LED lights to any chassis ground (usually any screw that goes into the body)

Connect the negative battery terminal

Make sure the fuse is in the holder

Turn on the switch

If the lights do not come on, go through the directions again.

Doesn't get easier than this... I don't even know how to spell "switch" and I can wire it.. I'm sure you can

Click to get the picture below...

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 191
Hey, Snitty, you dont mind me calling for detailed instructions like these for installing a SYE, new shaft, SOA, winch, new front bumper, new rear bumper with Tire carrier, regearing to 4.56 andinstalling 2 pairs of auxiliary lights, right? I want it step by step (but make sure to include pictures this time!)... HAHAHAHA!!!!

Felipe

I'm right on top of that... I'll make them into animated GIF format, and give you individual instructions for your right and and left hand, so you don't get confused and do something backwards

Back