Lift Question

CommerceSooner

I've got a 99 TJ, I recently put BFG 31 10.5 15's on. I get a little rub when I turn the wheel to sharp. I want to lift, but just enough to get clearance. Can anyone recommend a good lift for that? I'm not wanting big, just clearance. Anyone know the pros and cons of the cheaper body lifts?

I did the 2" RE Budget Boost. Cheap and effective. Plenty of clearance for 31's with room for flex. Installed it in 4 hours.

The kit included spring spacers front and rear, 4 shocks, and bump stops. U wont even need spring compressors. CAKE install.

Any amount of lift won't get rid of that rub, sounds like it's the tire rubbing the lower control arm due to too much backspacing on stock rims. Easy to fix by using aftermarket rims or wheel spacers or by adjusting the steering stops on the back side of the knuckle.

I think you'll be happy with the 2" RE Budget Boost should you decide to go that route. A friend of mine has inchitis and is taking his BB off it you're interested in a used kit.

i'm with bounty... lift has nothing to do with turning rub

Wow, my 2" body lift wont help with the rub. That really sux. I just figured it would do the trick. How much does your buddy want for his lift? Can anyone give me a site where I can get the lift I need?

Email him at hwford@htc.net and tell him Bounty Hunter told you about his budget boost he'll be selling. Ask for a price including shipping.

I would get a 2" coil spacer lift (the Budget Boost they are referring to) instead of a 2" body lift. It's about the same money but much easier to install and they look 100% better in my opinion.

I'm not sure thay ANY lift will cure the rubbing, like Bounty said. The problem is your larger tires are hitting the lower control arms. The cheapest cure is a free one, adjust the steering stops. This will narrow your turning radius slightly, but it is a easy free fix. Next cheapest would be buying wheel spacers. If you have the $ to spend get new wheels that stick out about an inch more than the ones you have now (the new wheels would need to be about 4.25" backspacing.

A 2" lift will however keep the 31" tires from rubbing other places while offroading!

I'd get a 2" BB and adjust the steering stops. THis writeup is for the older YJ's (with the square headlights) but the modification should be the same or very similar:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/steer/steerstop/

Back