Lift questions

redwrangler02

Hey I've got a 2" coil spacer lift, would it be a bad idea to add a 2" body lift? Eventually I want to have that 2" body lift with a 4" suspension but for now i can't really cough up the grand for the suspension. Or is 2" body too much? Thoughts, comments and suggestions please!

Also, if you go higher than 1" BL ,wouldn't you have to get extended engine mounts to raise the engine due to Radiator/Fan Clearances?

Or move the fan shroud, or cut the bottom of the shroud to clear.

Reason the shorter BL is better is due to the increased leverage on the body bolts on the larger BL's. The higher you go, the more likely the body pucks are to shift.

Why would I even get a bl at all then? Would it be better just to get a suspension lift and go higher on that? Would it even be worth it to get a 1" bl? Cause I'm probably gonna have to extend brake lines and drop stuff anyway.

Why would I even get a bl at all then? Would it be better just to get a suspension lift and go higher on that? Would it even be worth it to get a 1" bl? Cause I'm probably gonna have to extend brake lines and drop stuff anyway.

Alot of people but the 1" body lift or possibly 2" body lift to flatbelly their jeeps. If you clock your transfercase up it will hit the floor. If you do any hardcore offroading the body will shift around alot and probably break your body mount bolts. That is why you should not go too high. If your doing this on a tj, I think, you need to worry about your a/c lines also. I have seen street queens with 3" and higher body lifts. That is not the way to go. You want your jeep as low as possible with the largest tires to keep the center of gravity low. If you want a body lift to clear larger tires, try moving the fenders higher or trim them. I always thought the fenders looked cool moved up and trim the hood. But this will be a big project and take some time to make it look good. You could always get some jk fender flares and retro fit them to your jeep.

Body lifts do have some advantages. They allow extra tire clearance while raising the center of gravity less than the same increase in a suspension lift. They're cheaper than adding to a suspension lift, and often easier to install. When used in conjunction with a motor mount lift (MML) it allows you to run a flat belly skid, a huge increase in breakover angle.

I've got a 2" coil spacer now and I'm running 33"s but any time I try and take it anywhere for offroading I just bury the tires in the wheel wells and it just bogs down. I can't really do anything trail wise, which I would really really like to be able to do, the only thing I can do is play around in the mud.

I like you set up!

couple options
-I would look into increasing your bump stops and stop the suspension from coming to far into the fender.
-the 1" body lift.
Or..IMHO, the best solution
-put in adjustable control arms in the rear and stretch the rear back 1", for both front and rear....trim trim trim.

depending on how aggressive you are with your sawzall, you could even go as far as fitting 35's with your current setup.

Lastly then engine should not bog down when the fenders are contacting the tires though. you are in 4lo right?

No I guess it was just in 4hi...I don't really have a whole lotta experience driving it harder than street and mud I don't think I've actually ever even used 4lo, I had another wrangler before my current one but it was stock and someone hit me and totaled it before I could use it. Also, I'm almost positive I've still got stock shocks on my jeep, and whenever I do any minimal flexing it looks like I'm in danger of just pulling them apart, so I probably need to throw some longer ones on there too? What's these bump stops you speak of?

No I guess it was just in 4hi...I don't really have a whole lotta experience driving it harder than street and mud I don't think I've actually ever even used 4lo, I had another wrangler before my current one but it was stock and someone hit me and totaled it before I could use it. Also, I'm almost positive I've still got stock shocks on my jeep, and whenever I do any minimal flexing it looks like I'm in danger of just pulling them apart, so I probably need to throw some longer ones on there too? What's these bump stops you speak of?

Your bumpstops are located in the middle of your coils. I had a 4" lift on my 99 tj with 33" tsl and it stuffed them in the fenders with no rubbing. You will have to do something with your shocks. If on a budget relocate the shock mounts if not on a budget get longer ones. Next time you go offroad disconnect the shocks and see if you get anymore travel. Just drive slow so you maintain control. And relocate the brake line mounts also so you dont rip them apart. You could always piece your lift together. There are companys that sell the springs seperate (or ebay). I installed stock front tj coils on the rear of my cj and had alot of travel. The coils are great for flexing. You also need to watch the lower control arms. They come in contact with the coil spring buckets if the suspension travels down too much. As for as your gears, regearing always helps but it depends on your driving style and terrain. Do you have the 4.0 or the 2.5 engine? Is it stick or auto transmission?

I've got a 4.0L 5 speed standard. JTJWRANGLER how did you go about everything with your 4" lift? Did you just do a suspension lift? What else did you have to do?

Attachments

• FrontDriver2.JPG
    FrontDriver2.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 87
  • RearDriver1.JPG
    RearDriver1.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 84
  • FrontDriver1.JPG
    FrontDriver1.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 87
Hey also you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your jeep with that lift on? I'd like to eventually do about the same with a 4" lift or there about.

At the time when I lifted my 4" was the biggest they sold. I bought the superlift kit and it came with everything. I know that you can get coils from rubicon express. They sell them in pairs. If you piece yours together just get all the parts before starting. You will need the 4 coils, shocks, pitman arm, trackbar brackets, and possibly the spacers to lower your skidplate to reduce your rear driveshaft angle. They sell slipyoke eliminator kits for that, but some can be pricey. You are going to need to either lengthen your brakelines or relocate them so they dont stretch when flexed. You can get a basic 4" lift cheap these days. I think I have seen them for around $300-$400 range. That will save you from alot of headaches in the long run. You and a buddy can install this in a day or two with basic handtools. The little parts will nickle and dime you to death. Here is a pic of my 99 that I had.

Attachments

• l_352a3f47694d0753a99f51f91c04faee.jpg
    l_352a3f47694d0753a99f51f91c04faee.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 205
As far as lowering your bumpstops, they sell longer poly bumpstops or you can get the plastic pucks, like a body lift puck, and install it between the lower part and upper part. that is what alot of lift kits come with. And since you got a 4.0 and a 5 speed you probably have 4.10 or 3.73 gears. Thay should be good for 33" tires.

What you did to your jeep is EXACTLY what I want to do with mine. I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to all the diy stuff but I'll be posting lots of questions when I get ready to do it. With your jeep, you only had a 4" lift and 33" tires and were able to flex that much?!?! That's ridiculous impressive, I'd like to be able to do the same, with some help from everyone haha.

Back