Lift questions

4.0 and 5 spd would most likely be either 3.07 or 3.54's some got 3.73, but most are in the auto's, unless it is a rubicon, 4.10's are with a 4 cly. there should be an ID tag on the diff.

What you did to your jeep is EXACTLY what I want to do with mine. I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to all the diy stuff but I'll be posting lots of questions when I get ready to do it. With your jeep, you only had a 4" lift and 33" tires and were able to flex that much?!?! That's ridiculous impressive, I'd like to be able to do the same, with some help from everyone haha.

That was a basic bolt on lift. It used the stock arms which limited the flex alot. If you change out the arms it will flex more. The long arm kits are great, but expensive. You can buy the longarms by them self. I removed the rear sway bar and added disconnects on the front. It was a great daily driver and I took it to the yo ranch in san antonio for the jeep jamboree and it worked flawless. Then drove it home.

Aren't there the long arms and short arms? Probably a dumb question, but what's the difference? Just longer or shorter? What do they do? Would long be better than short?

Aren't there the long arms and short arms? Probably a dumb question, but what's the difference? Just longer or shorter? What do they do? Would long be better than short?

If you look under your jeep you will see where the stock arms meet the frame. The long arms meet the frame at about the same point the skidplate starts and finishes. Long arms are alot better on and offroad. You will have a smoother ride and more flex. It will get rid of the lifting motion when you accelerate. If you get the triangulated 4 link you can get rid of the track bar. The triangulated 4 link is like a long arm but they meet together on the top of the axle. Most professional rockcrawler use the triangulated 4 link. But those kits are very expensive. But back to the long arms, if you lift your jeep up higher the arms are more angled. So when you accelerate they push the chassis up instead of forward. This waste horsepower and torque lifting your chassis instead of pushing it. It all goes back to drag racing. Suspension geometry is a very long subject and takes along time to understand. But yes the longer the links the less of an angle they are compared to your chassis. I built a double triangulated 4 link on the rear of my cj7 and I could flex it so much with no binding to stand the rear axle on it side and still have the front wheels on the ground. That is when you have too much flex. And yes there is a such thing and too much flex. And the short arms are stock length. You can buy upgraded arms that have flex joint on them instaed of the factory rubber joints but you will feel more of the road because the rubber dampens it. But a basic lift is a good start. you can upgrade when your budget allows or the terrain tell you too. A 4" lift with 33" tires will get you farther then you think, adding a set of lockers and the jeep will be unstoppable.... Until you do harder trails that require bigger and better equipment.

My jeep will also be my dd so I would like to make it so I can still drive quite a bit on the street but also be able to take trails without worrying about anything. Do brand names matter? Would skyjacker or teraflex or anything else be better than another? And price? Would I have to do anything else besides just bolting on the 4" lift? Where would be a smart place to look for actually buying the lift? I don't have a local shop where I can shop or take it unfortunately.

My jeep will also be my dd so I would like to make it so I can still drive quite a bit on the street but also be able to take trails without worrying about anything. Do brand names matter? Would skyjacker or teraflex or anything else be better than another? And price? Would I have to do anything else besides just bolting on the 4" lift? Where would be a smart place to look for actually buying the lift? I don't have a local shop where I can shop or take it unfortunately.

Basiclly some brands offer different features for different prices. If you shop around on the internet you can find some deals. They are always putting these on sale. Things to look for would be, if the kit comes with shocks and what kind of shocks, brake lines or relocator brackets, etc. You can get a 4" lift for around $400 that comes with everything. The lifts comes with good instructions and is an easy bolt on. Just take your time and do it right. It should take about a day or 2. I did my first lift on my tj by myself in a carport. It took me about 12 hours to do. Dont be intimindated by all the parts. They are all labled. Just clear your schedule and invite some friends over and have a wrenching party. Save the beer for the end. I think it is better for someone to do their own work on their rig. It give you pride and if anything goes wrong in the future you know what it is. Here is one that looks good for a great price. It come with shocks, all the little parts, and even the lower control arms to allow more flex. Jeep TJ Suspension Lift Man if you were closer you could bring it over to my shop and I would help you install it. I love this crap.

Ya ever since I've had a jeep I have fallen for it, and I want to learn everything there is to know about them. I do feel there is that whole pride issue with fixing it up myself, and it looks like thats the way I'll probably have to go, although I do have family who live in McAllen haha. It's just a bit intimidating I guess since I really have no knowledge of any of this as this will be the first real mod I'll have done ever. Oh, is that your green truck on the videos page?

Ya ever since I've had a jeep I have fallen for it, and I want to learn everything there is to know about them. I do feel there is that whole pride issue with fixing it up myself, and it looks like thats the way I'll probably have to go, although I do have family who live in McAllen haha. It's just a bit intimidating I guess since I really have no knowledge of any of this as this will be the first real mod I'll have done ever. Oh, is that your green truck on the videos page?

Yeah the green truck is mine now. I got it from a buddy in mcallen. As far as the lift, You can do the install. Just take you time and follow the directions. They are step by step. No special tools needed.

Back