lift selection

jeepjeep!

Ok guys iv searched the forum and cant find anything comparing the IRO 3" and RC 4" for 04 Wj. Im currently runnin RC Budget boost with 255/70/18 Jk takeoffs. Wife said i can finally go bigger ! So now im stuck between the two. Its mostly an everyday driver but on weekends we might wheel it mildly, but i still want it taller. Im not too worried about ride (its a jeep) so far as its not dangerous! Any experiences or things i should add with either kit like adj trac bar, isolators, that sorta stuff?? The kits are within $ 50 bucks of each other.

You could probly do the 3 inch no problem and not worry about any extra things to make it safe. When I bought my xj it was on 3 inch blacks and that's it and it was fine for thousands of miles before I stepped it up to 4.5.. not sure what those kits come with but if ur going with 4 you will probably want to do something about the track bar and steering. A drop pitman ARM for the steering is all you would need and either a track bar drop bracket of some sort or an adjustable track bar.. I Havnt obtained these for my 4.5 but I can definately say its needed. You might also want to look into an extended brake line. But again you can do the 3 inch no problem

I have wj, same apply for xj? I just ordered a 3" for the wifes xj today, rep said i could expect it tommorrow!! I am also hearing probs with add a leafs which is what i got ugh! But at the same time iv heard just as much good. I hear the AAL sometimes sags the rear? I guess well see when we install. Ill post pics soon

The front suspension on a wj and xj are pretty similar the rear isnt but IDE be more worried about the front because I'm pretty sure wj's have a triangulated/wishbone style link setup that doesn't use a track bar. For the aal I dislike them cause they make the ride stiffer and yeah they can sag. You might install it and end up with an inch or so less lift than its supposed to be

Lets hope not! On my wj im leaning towards the IRO. The xj like i said is gonna be 3" and prob 31" tires, i think it will give it a personality. Its a 92 laredo with only 150k .

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120509_194703.png
    ForumRunner_20120509_194703.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 2,290
It's definitely the safer way to go without worrying about too much other stuff. When my budget lift was on my xj I was still able to have fun on trails and I was impressed what the stock suspension with a little boost could do

Wj's should have a track bar...imho you should get an adjustable track bar for it at 3". When I bought my zj it had a 3" lift on it, 2 years later I'm almost done cleaning up the sloppy job the po did. One of the first things I added was a bds hd adjustable track bar to get rid of the dw.

The lift came in today for the xj! Hope to have it thrown on tomorrow night or saturday evening, still tryin to find a set of 31"s :p

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120510_210443.png
    ForumRunner_20120510_210443.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 290
Yesterday I installed my old budget lift from my xj onto my younger brothers xj... My old front coils went on his rear lifting it a good 3.5 inches and I put my lift block from the front on. Came out real nice and that's all that was done.. got it aligned and got sin new 31" hth at's what do you think?

ForumRunner_20120511_175318.png

Looks good, Installed the lift on our xj last night after work, turned out nice. Gained a little more than 3" but expecting it to settle. Found a set of 31x10.5 that i will hopefully get in the next few days.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120512_080240.png
    ForumRunner_20120512_080240.png
    512 KB · Views: 439
Yeah! I'm guessing Craigslist? Idk why but people on Craigslist are so..... Idk unreliable. But when it does work outhouse get stuff real cheap :)

It was a local customs shop, i dont think he'll last long

Yea he could have called me earlier in the day! This isnt the first complaint come to find out! Ahh i need 31"s!!!! Oh yea what about spacers anyone got any advice? Like iv heard of wheels falling off :s or do i even really need em for 31s?

Desertrunner, the Jeep in the pic is a Zj.

I recommend Spidertrax wheel spacers. Use loctite on the lugs attaching the spacers to the axle, torque to spec and you won't have any trouble. I've been running my generic 6-lug spacers for years now.

same here, they should come with the locktite, just torque (by hand) and retorque after 100miles an your good to go

1.25" is the common width I believe. Much skinnier and the lugs and nuts would interfere with the wheel.

Back