lifting 4cyl, what else do I have to do with it?

Nooch13

Ok, I am giving up oin the engine swap idea at least for now. I already have a 2" skyjacker spacer lift kit. I am currently running 31x10.5s and want to be able to run at least 33s and ideally 35s. Can I run 33s without re-gearing to 488, how bout 35s? How high do I need to go to be able to fit each tire? Would another 4" lift and 488s handle 35x12.5s? DO I need a SYE or anything else?

a 4" lift is on the borderline of needing a SYE... i would be hesitant to run 33s without regearing.. but i have seen it done

OK, so if I put in a 4 inch lift and left mt spacers in, I would definetely need a SYE. COuld I get away with a 2.5 inch skyjacker lift, keep my 2" spacers in and not run an SYE? WHat could I damage if I ran it without one? That would easily clear my for 33x12.5s. I should go to 488's I know, but that I can not do myself, at least I do not think I can. I plan on lifting it myself again as I HATE to pay someone to work on my vehicles!

Nooch,

If you're gonna do it, do it right. I would ditch the spacers (sell 'em on ebay) and get the 4" suspension kit. You will clear 33's and it is not REQUIRED to get the SYE and it is not REQUIRED to regear. However, understand that you will loose power as a result of not regearing. I assume we're talking TJ since you have "spacers." Without the SYE, you will have to do a Transfer Case Drop kit. The only adverse affect to this is less ground clearance and less break over angle (BOA). If you like running 70 on the highway, you will want to regear. Since you have the 2.5 (like me) you almost assuredly have a manual transmission. You will not be able to use your 5th gear. Sure, you can shift into 5th, but there will be no power there (unless you're going downhill).

You can do power upgrades to help with the power loss (like me). Get a K&N air filter and a high-flow muffler (cat-back system). This will help a little. But don't expect miracles.

Oh yeah, we want before and after pics.

Corey

i have a 2.5L yj with 4 inches of lift....

32x11.5" mudders

Poweraid TBI Spacer
K&N Air Filter

And i can still go 80... but hills, man o man.... 3rd gear sometimes!!

thanks for the advice. I think I will do that. I'll have to get my hands on a digital camera quick for the pics as I plan on doing this next weekend. Do you think if I re-geared to 488's would I be able to use 5th at all then? How bad do you think that would drop my top speed. I do not speed too bad, but I do not like to sit in the right lane doing 55 either!

http://www.4lo.com/geartable.html

That may help you to decide on gears... I believe if you have 4.88s then you will still have 5th gear. I think if you have too high of a ratio (3.07s with 35s) then you loose 5th or barely have it. Right? I always forget, dang.

Don't forget that anything over 4" of lift is really too much for a stock short-arm suspension design, and a long-arm should be used for lifts of more height.

Nooch13 said:
Do you think if I re-geared to 488's would I be able to use 5th at all then? How bad do you think that would drop my top speed. I do not speed too bad, but I do not like to sit in the right lane doing 55 either!

Yes, you will use 5th gear but thats only if you are on flat road and if you have alot of road. You will be able to do 70 with 4.88's, 33's, andd the 2.5L.

Why don't you lift it and put the tires on and see how she does? I ran 32's with a 2.5L and with some engine mods I was pretty content with it. 33's will most likely leave you wanting to regear, but you be the judge. It will definately be driveable and you can regear anytime.

To answer yor question on 4.88's, I have no doubt she'll run great on 33's and 4.88's. Take a look at the table that Joopin posted. The Jeep's stock 4.10 gears were for 28" stock tires. This is at the tables "More power" zone. 4.88's on 33's will put you right back in the same area. The "more power" compensates for the "less powered" 2.5L.

I am running 33 x 15.50's and I noticed no power decrease from when I had my 31 x 10.50's. And my motor is a piece of junk 2.5 too. I still have the stock gears. My top speed in 5th gear is about 58. Top speed in 4th is about 65. Top speed in 3rd is about 68-70. That speed is what my brother's car next to me said I was going since my speedo is off. Hope that helps.

Back