lifting a YJ on a budget

spank

Re: selling my tj , best offer

hey guys!

so i want to lift my yj a couple inches to accomodate my 31" tires. i'm not a hardcore offroader, nor do i feel like dumping a bunch of money into my jeep (not right now anyway). so what is the best course of action? body lift, shackle lift, add-a-leaf, etc

please don't suggest a suspension lift...i know that's the best way to do it, but it just ain't happenin

thanks! :D

mudwoman runs 31's on her '95 with the stock suspension - just a little rubbing at full lock on turns (parking,etc). These guys could probably help you get rid of that. We don't "hardcore" wheel it either and she does just fine. my 2 cents.

mud

i'm actually getting a lot of rubbing. i already had slight rubbing with my old tires, and they were only slightly bigger than stock (235 i think)

as it is right now, they're makin some bad sounds even when i'm not turning (driving straight at slow speeds)

hmmmm..........I didn't realize you already had them mounted. What year is your YJ? And are they 31 x 10.5's? 6 cyl. or 4 banger? I know I won't be much help, but it'll help everyone else help you. I can definitely sympathize with the money thing.

RE: ZJ V8 Fan and Fan Clutch Swap

they're 31x10.5 on a 6 cyl '90 YJ

whatever you do, do yourself a favor and don't install any more than 1 inch of body lift and/or 1 inch of shackle lift. I've done both. 3" of body lift and i shifted my body on the frame when i was wheelin and 1 3/4 shackle lift and my steering was very, very poor.

I run 31's on my YJ and i put on a 2" shackle kit with a 1 inch body lfit and its runnin just fine, no rubbin at all. my two cents

LR

go with the body lift - you'll get the clearance you need for the 31" tires w/out losing the ride quality - plus when you do decide (and you WILL !!!) to go w/a real lift you've got the advantage of the BL going for you! more clearance!!! and the BL @ 1 or 2" doesnt look too horrific! (sorry, not a fan of the big body pucks!!! just my $0.02 - oh yea... as for clearance for the springs on turning.... there are some real convenient steering stop screws on the front end that will cure that ill!

There is a shackle reversal kit made by Full Traction that nets 2" of lift front and rear (rear uses boomerang style lift shackle). It is part # FTS2501. Do a web search for the best deal. You can see the kit I'm referring to here:
http://full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=2&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=145&NOTES=12
That, in my opinion is the best "cheap" method to gain a small lift for a YJ and improve the ride instead of making it stiff or unstable.

4 add-a-leaves would be better than any standard 2" shackle lift but they will probably be the option with the stiffest ride. Shackle lifts over 1" make for some shaky steering (the above kit relocates the front shackles to rthe rear of the front springs which would improve stability).

I am not a big fan of body lifts over 1".

RE: CV boot replacement

you can also trim the stock flares at the first trimline.. i did that and got me some better flare clearance... it does make a difference, can't tell what i did either

The cheapest and easiest way to get plenty of clearance for 31s on a YJ is a set of TJ flares and a small shackle lift.

RE: Shocks for the money

I run 31x10.50's completely stock jeep, no rubbing, trim the fenders and check backspacing on rims, used to rub, until I went away from stock rims. 8) 8)

so should i just wait until i can afford a susp lift?

You should clear those tires fine by installing a set of TJ fender flares.

Then there's the add-a-leaf using another YJ front long leaf all the way around, gives 1.5" of lift without changing the ride quality.

1" body lift would be a start, I've made my own on about 3 or 4 YJ's now, for about $25 each.

Back