lifting questions

Jeepster05

right now i've got around 2.5 suspension and I want to put on 4 inches or maybe a SOA. If I lift it 4-6 inches will I have to alter the steering or extend the drive shaft??? I gotta do this as cheaply as possible. [addsig]

Man I hate this sort of post and I will tell you why! I started out wanting to go with a simple 2.5" lift as you say you have. Some nice 31's and be done! Then you come a long as so many others have and say,
right now i've got around 2.5 suspension and I want to put on 4 inches or maybe a SOA.
then I have to re think the whole lift thing over again. Do I really think 2.5 will be enough, I use to now I am not so sure. lol I feel you pain my friend and I can't make up my mind as to how big I want to go. I just know I only want to lift this Jeep one time. thanks for the post, You have made me think. I will be watching this post for the same answers you are looking for. Tug :-D [addsig]

haha tug I guess ya know how I feel then. The thing is, the guy I bought it from did all the susp work and I really want to jack it up so I can eventually stuff in some 35s. I've got some work to do to it, but for right now it does jsut fine on the trail. [addsig]

well i say if you're thinking of going higher then 2.5 or 3" go SOA, you'll keep your stock springs, and stock ride, have 4.5-5" of lift, and be able to run 33's more then comfortable and even fit 35's in neccesary....i wouldnt waste your money on 4" springs, they ride worse and the SOA is just a better way to go....just my oppionion

Quik[addsig]

... and you'll have to modify your steering and drive shaft as well... but after its done, its well worth it[addsig]

my SOA date is arriving in a matter of days (my plan) can someone give me a good suggestion on what to do with my steering, snitty just said id need to mod it so i need some ideas. ive seen lifted jeeps that have plenty of clearance exept for the steering dealy hanging down. id rather not have that so any thoughts would be great[addsig]

if you want your steering to clear the ground well.. then you will need a crossover steering system... this takes all of your steering parts, and moves them over your springs after the lift. this requires modification to your outer knuckles. the other options are to use a dropped pitman arm or a z-bent drag link. the drop pitman arm works better, but still places the draglink and all rods under the springs. if you have the money to spend.. go with the crossover system[addsig]

JEEPSTER go SOA I just did mine this weekend and it only cost me for the spring perches and the tubing for the trans lowering brackets. Im fabricating lower shock mounts so I will still use the regular shocks. I took my brake lines loose and rebent them so their fine. My front shaft is fine and soon Ill have to lengthen the rear but for now its ok. I will have to get a dropped pitman arm to cerrect the steering. After that your pretty set to go. Just my 2 since worth.[addsig]

We did my SOA for around $40 total. That was used to buy various bolts, metal and such that we didn't have lying around the shop. I also bought new shocks all the way around but didn't include that in the final price since you could get away with fabricating your own shock mounts and not have to buy longer shocks. But it is easier to go out and spend the little amount of $$ to get longer shocks I think.

SOA is the way to go since for around $50 you can get 5"+ of lift....[addsig]

One thing you have to remember is you need to Weld! When you weld the perches on you need to add 2 degrees to the angle from what they are now. (Get youself a degree finder at home depote for $6.00. On the rear driveline point it strait at the transfercase where your driveline starts and then come down 3 degrees. if you get it right you can get away without having to lengthen and you shouldnt have that bad of a vibration if not any.

You can also just get shims. But your better off welding them in the right stop because you can brake a shim or snap off a centering pin.

I will get some pictures of my soa I just did a week ago. Its REALLY easy to add shock mounts also for like a couple bucks (the price of 4 bolts and nuts). and save yourself 100.00 on shocks.[addsig]

Back