Locker info

B192734

So I have been told that lockers at this point would be about the best thing I could put on my 2000 XJ for increased offroad performance. I am not knowledgeable about them in the least, and was wondering if someone could kind of explain what I am looking at, what they do, and all that good stuff. Will they reduce performance on road, or are they something that you have to engage each time like manual locking hubs? Just trying to find out what information I can. Thanks dudeski's and/or dudetteski's.

So, in people's opinions, are lockers something that I need? I have never yet had a problem in getting out of something that I have driven into. Should I be looking at lockers only if I am thinking of more hardcore offroading, or are they really all that needed in the first place?

I've got a '93 ZJ and I'm considering a tru-trac for my front. I've got a Dana 30. Or would I do better putting one in my Dana 35 in the rear.

You're better off adding the first traction aiding differential to the rear, that's where you get the most benefit due to weight transfer. You can go many more places with 2wd and a locker/limited slip than you could possibly go in 4wd and open diffs.

I have had great success with a limited slip in the rear and a auto locker in the front. That will not effect your on road manners at all but really shines off road. That is the set up that I had in my tj and it was like night and day. I did not do any hardcore wheelin at first either. But if you build up your vehicle then you will probably try more and more until you find your limit. Locker in the rear are nice if you dont mind spending alot of money on a selectable locker (arb, ox, etc.). Any other locker will cause more tire wear and effect your on road alot. My daily driver had a spool. But I regreat that evertime I turned. But it was a full on rockcrawler that was barely legal. A limited slip in the rear will do what it says, limit the slip on your tires. If you want to upgrade the rear, the ford 8.8 out of a explorer has disc brakes and a limited slip with stronger axles and almost bolts right in. Could be cheaper than buying a traction device and have more benefits.

Back