locker or spool?

a spool is jsut like a weilded rear end except much stronger and without the risk of wrecking the expensive gears with chuncks of the weild. Spools permantly lock the 2 axle shafts together at all times. there is no give like a locker would give. most lockers will only lock up when tourque is applied. they are expensive tho and spools are significantly cheaper.

not really. cause a pos rear-end will allow limited slippage using a clutch pack in the differential.( i think). with a spool both tires are locked together permanty. so if you plan on using a spool tire chirpping will most likly occur when taking tight corners. however i now several people who run weilded rearends and it doesnt seem to be a major problem.swampers seem to chrip the least cause of there soft rubber compound.

wheelin sunday after xmas

I have a Eaton G80 Gov-loc . It locks when one tire spins 100 rpm. and unlocks when speed reaches 20 mph. Now I have a truck, But when its locked-ITS LOCKED no slip at all.
So when its locked, its a real pain to turn in a trail. and tires scream in parking lots.
So I suggest a selectable locker - Unless its a "trail rig" . I have needed to make k-turns, and have seen a Raider with lock-rite's front and rear. He also had a horriable time turning. ANYONE with f/r lock-rites on a jeep ???

a spool will allow now slippage whatsoever... and will keep both wheels going at the exact same speed at all times

I've got Lincoln Lockers front and rear in my YJ and I love 'em. Wouldn't have it any other way. Sortof a poor-jeepers spool, if you will. There is no spool or mini-spool available for the D30 and D35 so welding was my only option.

Mini-spool replaces the spider gears and uses the stock diff carrier, locking both axle shafts together.

I actually think the spool or lincoln locker is easier on axle shafts than a part-time locker, when on the trail. When a part-time locker locks during wheel spin, that's a lot of shear force on a narrow axle shaft like a D35, seen a lot of them snap during this. No guesswork with a spool, it's always locked so less chance of shearing an axle shaft in half.

A posi is the same as a limited slip, it biases torque between the two wheels and is better than an open diff, not as reliable for traction as a locker. Limited slips are nearly transparent when driving on the road, and I've seen them do very well offroad.

New Moderators.

Welding the spider gears together solidy links the two shafts together the same as a spool (don't do like my buddy and weld th shafts to the gears...that was dumb). It works good unless you like to be able to steer or don't won't tire chirping. The tire chirping gets worse with bigger tires. I think that welding them puts undue stress on the shafts when driving on the pavement but works great off road. The only con with a locker is the price.
BTW I ran a Detroit Gearless in a Scout 44 front for several years. It is the best drop in locker around. No noise and worked flawlessy.

like bounty said, a spool is a poor mans locker.... it DOES perform just as well, or even better offroad.... but a locker will have way more benefits... and you will see that in the price

lockers will have only more benefits on the road. they have better road manners than a spool but for a trail rig you cant beat a spool! :lol:

good point about the enertia and snapping created by lockers bounty. never looked at it like that before.

old parts for sale!!!

well what about putting a spool in the front and a locker in the rear? and could i wait to put the locker in the rear? and how do i spool the front and rear? i mean my jeep is a daily driver that hits the trails on the weekends so ..... yeah id like to keep some good raod mannerisms ya know

if you want good road manners go with lockers. dont use a spool in the front end or you will never be able to turn in a circle! try looking into a lunch-box type locker for the front! i am thinking about putting a lockrite in my front dana 44 but only cause i have the warn permium lock out hubs. without hubs or a means of dissconnecting the front axle driving would be tricky with a locker in the front on the road.

well i have stock d30 up front and id kinda like to keep the d30 up front cause its alot of hassle to replace..... i mean if i could get some info or help i would love to replace it with a d44 or anything that would wok ya know? a luch box locker? well could i put a lockout hub conversion kit in? well is a locker that i could use up front and keep the stock setup?

bounty- What type of welder/ type rods and how did you weld. Did you remove it from the axle ? Think stainless would be the way to go ? What size tires are you running ?

You can run a Lincoln Locker in the front of your YJ no problem, just need a manual disconnect for the passenger side axle shaft. I have a manual vacuum switch I installed for free, you can install your own cable, or buy the $200 posilok cable actuator.

You can weld the front diff if you don't use 4wd onroad, like in snow or ice. In 2wd the pass. side axle shaft will be disconnected so you won't even know it's there until you engage 4wd.

The manual disconnect is nice, you can run 3wd on the road in slick conditions (so you can still turn) or 3wd on the trail in very tight turns. I usually stay in 4wd for 99% of the trail and only disconnect the pass. side shaft when I'm tired of 5-point turns.

Well id kinda like to be able to turn and all cause snow and ice is about as hard as it get around here and lots of mud after a hard rain...i live in va.......in richmond so i would need something more convenient to turn and all thanx for the tip though....... what about the locking hubs? are they worth it?

You don't need locking hubs, you already have a system that unlocks the passenger side axle shaft. Only thing they'd do for you is unlock the driver's side shaft and that's not needed. If you have a locker or spool, the driver's side shaft will turn the front driveshaft in 2wd, that's no problem and transparent from the driver's seat.

Save the money from the hub conversion for something else.

Some snow wheelin

ok so what your saying is that if i put a locker in i will have 3 wheels going instead of just 2 in 2wd? so what about the spool? or is that outa the question?

In 2wd power will only be going to the rear axle. I just mentioned that a locker or spool in the front will cause the front driveshaft to turn all the time, caused by the rotation of the front driver's side tire. The driveshaft doesn't turn all the time now because of the open front differential (there is some slight turning due to parasitic drag).

Either way, you can lock the front with a locker or spool. I'd suggest a manual disconnect for the front passenger side, so you can turn easier in tight sections of trail, and steer better in snow.

When I say spool, I mean lincoln locker, 'cause there is no spool available for the D30 or D35 (I wish).

Back