lockers/gears!

nica89yj

Its about time I upgrade to a pair of lockers ( lunch box) and a new set of gears on my 89 YJ. Gears i wanna change to 4.56 and well lockers i really have no idea what to get, i just know that i dont trust the D35 so selectable lockers are out of the question due to the high cost. Anybody have a cheap web site? good place to order? recomendations are welcomed.

Nica9yj.

Welcome to Complete Off Road for a large gear and locker selection at great prices. Jeepz now has a vendor forum so check them out also.

Does your '89 see a lot of street time? I'd consider welding the rear spider gears (lincoln locker) as it's cheap and reliable. There's actually less stress on the rear with it welded than with an auto locker that will lock/unlock with a lot of shear force.

I ran my '95 for years with the front and rear stock axles welded, never a problem. Used a manual disconnect on the front axle so I can switch to 3wd to help on tight trail turns.

I like the lincoln locker concept...ive been a little skeptical about the whole idea of welding the spider gears. It feels wrong but it makes more sence since its always gonna be locked like u said instead of the constant locking and unlocking.

Manual disconect is the same thing as a Posi lock right? What exactly do i need for the welded D30 to unlock one tire?

I sure like the how cheap the lincoln lockers turn out i just hope they are reliable ...gotta get a real good welder.

I like the lincoln locker concept...ive been a little skeptical about the whole idea of welding the spider gears. It feels wrong but it makes more sence since its always gonna be locked like u said instead of the constant locking and unlocking.

Manual disconect is the same thing as a Posi lock right? What exactly do i need for the welded D30 to unlock one tire?

I sure like the how cheap the lincoln lockers turn out i just hope they are reliable ...gotta get a real good welder.

If you weld the D30, and have the axle disconnected, in 2H, esentially, the axle will work as stock (althgouh the DS should turn, but since it is not connected at the TC, it should not be a problem unless its not balanced; then some vibrations might be felt). In 4H or 4L, with the axle disconnected, the driver's side wheel would have power, and the passenger side would free-wheel (making steering easier on tight trails). With the axle connected, you have a locked 4X4 (25% of power goes to each wheel).

I was actually looking at this option, but since mine is also a DD, I think I will get selectable lockers and upgrade the axles to alloy (expensive, yes, but with the 4-Banger, I doublt I'll need more, and the wife will never be able to tell that I upgraded the axle! ;) )

Felipe

A posi-lok is a good option, bought or homemade. I ran a manual vacuum switch from a SJ and could switch the vacuum to the front axle wether in 2wd or 4wd.

well its done..i guess i need to research a good set of gears, and a decent popsi, cause im gonna be welding. Thanks for for the input guys.

Last edited:
Back