lockers on a YJ

RE: Re: When Is a YJ ready????

Ok ok this is my 1st Jeep but definately not my last, I noticed out playing around that when I get stuck or stopped only one side of either axle turns, getting lockers stops this right? what kind do I need ? how pricey are they? pros & cons?
thanks for your help/..

Re: RE: Re: When Is a YJ ready????

Lockers provide power to both wheels. You would need a locker to fit a Dana 35, and a Dana 30, unless you have swapped axles. Price varies from $250-$700+. Pro: is they allow you to go through more obstacles that you would normally find yourself stuck in. Con: if you drive carelessly you will break axle shafts, u-joints, etc...

RE: Need a fuel pump for a 96 jeep cherokee

Lunchbox lockers install in the factory diff carrier in place of the spider and side gears. They're a great option for moderate tire sizes and wheelin. Models include the LockRight, EZLocker, NoSlip, Aussie, etc. and range in price from $250 to $350 each. They can be installed easily by most shadetree mechanics.

You'll get a ratcheting noise around corners, it's normal, and the locker can lock up with a bang if you accelerate part way through a turn or lane change, causing some quirky handling. It's livable but you have to know what you're doing.

RE: Re: RE: Gas tank size question answered

Selectable lockers are the ones that are in the $700 range, and you can keep them open on the road to maintain stock driving characteristics and lock them on the trail for better performance. They also tend to be less stressful on axles than automatic lockers such as the lunch box style lockers, though a lunch box locker would likely be fine if you don't have tires over 33". I would say that if the jeep sees a fair amount of offroading, a locker in the rear is one of the first upgrades that should be made aside from tires and suspension. A locker really does make a world of difference and is, in my opinion, well worth it.

wrangler4meplease said:
Ok ok this is my 1st Jeep but definately not my last, I noticed out playing around that when I get stuck or stopped only one side of either axle turns, getting lockers stops this right? what kind do I need ? how pricey are they? pros & cons?
thanks for your help/..

I feel your pain!!!! Same thing happened to me when I first got my Jeep (I though it said "4WD"....??????? It's just 2!!!!!). Lockers rule!!! One of these days, I might get some.

RE: Major modifications- YJ

MerkL said:
I wouldn't recommend welding your spider gears with a stick welder.

While although that may be true for me, my brother-in-law is a freakin' artist with a stick welder.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Gas tank size question answered

MerkL said:
I wouldn't recommend welding your spider gears with a stick welder.

Stick's THE way to go in my opinion.

It's how my front and rear is welded on my Chevy on 44's and ~550 lb/ft :wink: ....and it has yet to break.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Lunchbox lockers install in the factory diff carrier in place of the spider and side gears. They're a great option for moderate tire sizes and wheelin. Models include the LockRight, EZLocker, NoSlip, Aussie, etc. and range in price from $250 to $350 each. They can be installed easily by most shadetree mechanics.

You'll get a ratcheting noise around corners, it's normal, and the locker can lock up with a bang if you accelerate part way through a turn or lane change, causing some quirky handling. It's livable but you have to know what you're doing.

I agree with Bounty, good option that won't break the bank.

It's still the 2nd best performance mod I've ever done. (1st being gears)

And the racheting is easily compensated for. I don't even think about it, anymore.

RE: On the road again

Thanks for all the help, now all I need is more income :roll: (still have a '50 chev p/u that needs done 1st)

RE: not in 4 wheel

My suggestion.. always being a friend, a recovery strap, and a hi-lift jack. Take it out and get stuck often. Once you have learned to handle a Jeep with open diffs and learn just what it can and cannot do, then reconsider if you really need lockers or not.

Off-roading is:
70% skill
20% tires
10% vehicle (including mods)

If you don't have the skill you will either break something or get stuck even worse with lockers.

YJ STUFF

Unless you are going rock climbing, don't waist your money on lockers. Get a good Limited slip, and you will have years of trouble free use outof them.
Lockers can cause all kinds of stress on the drivetrain....

RE: Maybe!

graewulf said:
My suggestion.. always being a friend, a recovery strap, and a hi-lift jack. Take it out and get stuck often. Once you have learned to handle a Jeep with open diffs and learn just what it can and cannot do, then reconsider if you really need lockers or not.

Off-roading is:
70% skill
20% tires
10% vehicle (including mods)

If you don't have the skill you will either break something or get stuck even worse with lockers.

I agree with the premiss of learning to drive first and foremost...But not the math....A well equiped rig will get you farther down the trail and actually allow you to drive slower and in more control then being stock and beattnig on your stuff. Plus i'd put my swampers against any other tire out there. So personally the rig and tires make up alot more than (30%)

more power

I'll have to agree with yjdave. A modified rig setup for the terrain is going to be easier to drive over that terrain.....so why is it better for a beginner to learn in a stock rig that requires more talent to put it places the modified rig would easily go? I think a better way would be to modify your rig the way you intend to wheel it, and then run easy trails until you learn to handle that rig. A stock Jeep isn't the monster alot of people make it out to be. Sure it's as good or better than any other stock rig, but that's not saying much. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :wink:

Jeepjim said:
Unless you are going rock climbing, don't waist your money on lockers. Get a good Limited slip, and you will have years of trouble free use outof them.

The Detroit Truetrac would be an excellent choice. Less stress on the drivetrain, more "streetable" and it'll solve your one wheel spinning problem.

TwistedCopper said:
Jeepjim said:

The Detroit Truetrac would be an excellent choice. Less stress on the drivetrain, more "streetable" and it'll solve your one wheel spinning problem.

TC, do those fit in the stock carriers?

They replace the carrier. It's a geared LS......it won't wear out with use like a conventional LS will, and it works better too. Alot of hotrods are going to them I've heard. Supposedly they give straight line traction like a detroit, but are easier to drive on the street.

Murder/Suicide??? An interesting read........

I haven't palyed around too much in trails or the snow, I don' t go alone If I go I go with my brother & his 1/2 ton chev & his quad. I don't plan on rock crawling or anything, I use this for daily driving too. Moab & stuff like that would be cool but It wouldn't be in my daily driver

wrangler4meplease said:
I haven't palyed around too much in trails or the snow, I don' t go alone If I go I go with my brother & his 1/2 ton chev & his quad. I don't plan on rock crawling or anything, I use this for daily driving too. Moab & stuff like that would be cool but It wouldn't be in my daily driver
That being the case, you need to weigh if a traction device like a locker or a limited slip is worth the investment. I would definately think a limited slip would be a better choice for a daily driver that sees only light trails if you decide to get one, but they will be more expensive than the lunchbox type lockers Bounty Hunter mentioned (installation cost would be higher, not necessarily the unit itself).

What kind of tires are you running? I would address that before even considering a traction device if you have street tires. Even some all terrain tires can make a difference over... say... stock Goodyear GSA's. Even better, many of the newer mud terrain tires wear alot better and are quiter than in the past and the difference will be night and day. If you already have good tread and want more traction then try a LS. If not, get some good meat under that Jeep and go from there.

Back