Lookin to Get a '91-95 XJ

andyman1976

I just had a few quick questions about the Jeep Cherokee(XJ, right?). My dad had a '90 Cherokee Laredo 2Dr 4.0l when I was a kid and I've got great memories of it and now I'm thinking of getting on myself. The '91-95's seem to fit my budget perfectly and I wanted to know what I should look for when buying this Jeep. I'm a college student at the University of Washington and I'll be using this as my daily driver, but I still want to be able to hit the mud and trials here in Western Washington. I also want one that is a 5 speed(any problems there) and I have my heart set on the 4.0l I-6. I would like to know also if I should buy one that is already lifted, say 3-5" with 33"s or if I should get a stock one and build it up right myself. Sorry for the length, I just have lost of unanswered questions, and all of my friends want me to get a first gen. 4Runner, if anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

i'm no xj expert but i say def stay away from something that is already lifted. something that is already lifted generally means it has seen its share of abuse. something stock is less likely to have seen as much abuse. plus, half the fun of owning a jeep is the buildup itself.

You should look to make sure there's not much rust underneath, in the door jams, places like that. Also check for leaks by the transfer case. As far as I've dealt with, the 5speeds are great. I love them and miss my old one. I would agree with bchcky and don't buy a lifted one you know who it was and know they did a good job at building it and didnt trash it offroad. And depending on what special things you want the jeep to have, I'd go with the sport package. Also the I6 is a great motor and can handle alot of miles. So something around 100000miles shouldn't break down on you really quick. My jeep was at 170000 when it was flipped and we just put oil in it and a new battery and it started right up. You will only have to deal with the normal wear and tear of engine parts. Also check the headliner, they tend to droop after so many years. Good luck man and I hope you find a great one.

mine is a '94, sport, I6 4.0 HO, 5 speed (AX-15, the best 5 speed transmission available), chrysler 8.25 rear, dana 35 front, tow hooks, ram bar, roof-mounted spare... i totally love it.

bought her with 215,000 miles and now she has over 223k running just fine! no worries here, find something you like, buy it, and don't look back!

Did many of the XJ's come with the Chrylser rear axel's? Seems like the 5 speeds are tough to find, I found one I like, its a 91 Laredo 5spd 4ltr HO 2DR, except it has 176,000 miles on it, should I worry about the mileage?

my '94 had 215,000 miles on it when i got her... currently has 223,000 miles and she's still running strong. I'd make sure you have the AX-15 transmission in that '91 there, the other option is something made by peugot.

those 4.0 motor's are BOMB PROOF... although i was under the ASSumption that jeep didn't realease the High Output option till 92. i'd check on that if i were you. the older 4.0's are just as reliable but the HO option gets you another 15 horsepower.

bchcky said:
i'm no xj expert but i say def stay away from something that is already lifted. something that is already lifted generally means it has seen its share of abuse. something stock is less likely to have seen as much abuse. plus, half the fun of owning a jeep is the buildup itself.

He is right on that. Try to find a stock one.
you'll pay less, and have fun doing the mods yourself.8)

Back