Looking for a lift

studmanken

Just need under dash switched power

Well, I've had my 2000 XJ for about two months now and I can't put off getting a lift for it anymore. :D However, not knowing much about lifts, I was wondering if I could get some input on what to get. I've heard good things about Rusty's and that seems to be the choice of most of the other posts I've read, but how high should I get it lifted? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money, so maybe just the 3" lift, but then there are two choices, the Spring Kit lift and the Add-A-Leaf Kit lift. Then there is also a choice to upgrade to JKS Discos. So what exactly are those and is it worth it to get the 4.5" lift? Thanks for any information/opinions. I also thought I'd add a poll question because I never tried it before :wink: however, I don't know how it works, if at all, but oh well.

Studman, Because you have a 2000, it is very likely that you will get driveline vibes with even a 3" lift. You probably could just get a t-case drop with the 3 inch, but still the SYE is the best choice. If you are willing to fork over an extra maybe 500$ for the SYE and CV driveshaft, I'd say go for the 4.5" lift. I recommend the Rubicon Express kits. I have the 3.5" superflex kit with the leaf packs. I say save up and go with the full leaf packs because if you don't, you will regret it later. In the long run, I think its a good choice to go 4.5", but you will be spending more money than if you just got the 3".

Rob

Max tire size you can run with a 3" lift is 30", without rubbing.

You can use the 3" lift with a .5" transfer case drop, any taller of a lift and I recommend a SYE.

I run 33's with a 4.5" Rusty's lift. I would go with the 4.5" due to ability and tire size. But I would ask yourself what your jeep is going to be used for.

If you plan on trailing, mud bogging, etc. - then I think you will always regret the 3" lift. If this is for a daily driver that won't see much action, then I wouldn't bother with the 4.5".

The cons are that the difference in price is considerable. You need fender trimming for the bigger tires, and an SYE to avoid driveline vibes. (something the newer xj's are prone to do) Not to mention diff in price for bigger tires and wheels.

Hell, I'm a little pissed I didn't go 5.5"! :twisted:

XJ Gear's to YJ??

go with Rusty's 3 inch lift. i put one on my 97 cherokee about 2 months ago and love it. i didn't do a t-case drop kit or a SYE, so i do have some vibration... but it really isn't bad at all, and i'll fix it whenever i get around to it. the 3" is really enough in my opinion... and you CAN clear much better than 30" tires (i was running 30's with NO lift and a really saggy old suspension). i also put on Rusty's cut-out flares... which give me much more clearance for tires and room for great articulation. you are looking at some pretty significant price jumps to go to the 4 1/2"... especially if you are planning to have it professionally installed (and i'm guessing you are). your question about the JKS discos... those are quick disconnects which allow you to disconnect your swaybar so your front tires will articulate better and maintain better traction (a very good and worthwhile upgrade).

re 35 or 44

I drive a 2001 Cherokee sport. I installed a 5.5" rubicon express lift onmy Jeep, my other option was the Rusty's 6". You will be told that you will have a lot of vibration because of a higher lift, thats all bull, its very little. Most that vibration i feel comes from the tires on the road when first startingg them up and slowing them down. I have little vibration at all, and im still running a stock driveshaft. If you go higher than 5.5" you should change to a longer cv driveshaft.

JKS are quick disconnects, very nice and easy to use. If your big into off- road, crawling, flexing i would recommend the upgrade. Because tube disconnects can sometimes be a pain to reconnect. Quick disconnects also help with articulation and allow the suspension to drop further to help keep all four on the ground when in exteme situations.

I would go with a 4.5" rustys with the JKS discos upgrade. There will be minor trimming if you put a 33 under it. I had to trim very little off the front to fit 33 under my 5.5", trimming is un-noticable. I would say one day upgrade to rusty's flares or bushwackers.
Remember gas mileage will go down with larger tires. I almost cut mine in half, and i think it would a good idea in the future to re-gear to 4:56.

Yes, also go with a full leaf pack. Stock always likes to invert a little and adding a add-a-leaf i believe won't help enough to get the desired height. I believe the higher you can afford to get the more you'll love it. I'm only 19 and Lifted Cherokee's are magnets to the women no kidding!

Go with the 4.5 kit...the fuel mileage decrease from larger tires is a real concern...but...regearing will cure that...I run 33's and get 18+ MPG...with stock gears it got around 10mpg.

Muddawg, did you take into account that your mileage was wrong on the odometer, accumulating slower, when you figured that mileage?

Go bigger, inchitis will hit later and you'll wish you had. Check out Rusty's Offroad for good lifts at great prices.

Back