Loose steering column

beattie1175

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have a problem with my '94 YJ. The steering wheel has play, up and down. I think it is a bearing or bushing in the firewall area, but not sure. If anyone has had this problem before please let me know how to fix. Any pictures would be of great help also. As a note I do not have tilt steering. Thank you in advance.null[addsig]

is it the wheel or the whole column? check where the colmn attaches to. if its the steering wheel only check the nut that holds it to the column.[addsig]

Welcome to the Jeepz place. I am not sure of the fix with the info provided but start at one end and check for the most simple like loose bolts clamps ect.. Go from the wheel to the steering box and see what is what is what and then go deeper. Best of luck in your search and agin welcome. Tug[addsig]

I've done some checking and for a stock steering shaft I'm good at the box. Travelling up to the firewall is where it has the play. All the way thru the firewall and thru the column. I also have a 3" body lift that came on it when I bought. This is a recent problem, started being noticeable about 2mos ago. Thanks again.[addsig]

I havn´t seen the inside of a 94 column, but most columns have a bearing at the top, under the turn signal plate. The cover for the bearings (looks like a big washer) is often pressed on with four little dents in the lip of the bearing cup. I´ve removed the turn signal plate (after emoving the steering wheel and horn) replaced the balls, the bearing cap and hammered a few notches in the bearing cup, to hold the cap on. Worked fine for years. But this was in a model without air bags and was a tilt (chevy style) steering column.
Sorry no pictures from me, I´m not going to take a steering column apart unless I have to. Not one of my favorite jobs :p
On most body lifts, I´ve installed, I´ve lossened the bolts that hold the plate to the firewall (where the column passes through) and the bolts under the dash holding the column up. There is enough play to allow the column to adjust to the body lift.
I´ve never seen the bottom of the column fail, but heck anything is possible.[addsig]

Thanks for the advice. I will check into tomorrow. What I meant by pics is a drawing from a manual. I recently moved and can't seem to find mine anywhere. I'm not sure if there are bearings/bushings at the top and bottom of the column or not and how to get to them. Don't really want a shop around here to fix if I can do myself. Thanks again.[addsig]

check the mounting boolts up under your dash if it moves up and down it sounds like the bolts have loosened off[addsig]

I have the same problem with my 91yj. I am missing a bushing on the steering shaft. It is actually an easy fix so I am told. It has been like that for a long time, I just got used to it. Good luck getting it fixed.[addsig]

Well...I did some checking today and I don't think the top bearing has failed. It is definitely something at the bottom of the shaft were it comes out of the steering column on the engine side of the firewall. I seem to have a flat circular piece that seems to have come out of the bottom of the column. I guess I'll pull the column out tomorrow and see what I can find. :-D Thank for the suggestions so far and if anyone has anymore ideas keep them coming. Thanks again.[addsig]

may be too late to help, but have you ruled out the tilt mechanism?

that is, if you have tilt. i have repaired several of them by just tightening the bolts that secure the tilt bracket in the knuckle to the spring mount plate.

of course, all of this is deep inside the knuckle, but still accessible.

let me know if this helps.

m
[addsig]

Nope, I don't have tilt. Been busy with work and haven't had time to investigate any futher. Hopefully tomorrow. I have a list of spring things to do to the Jeep. :cool: As soon as I get this figured out I will post. Doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem before, lucky me. Thanks again.[addsig]

actually, almost all cars i've driven with some age has had this problem. i mentioned the tilt because that's a tender part of the unit.

if it's in your mounting, it may be an easy fix. if it's the body portion (cracks, etc.) not as easy but do-able.

good luck with your fix. try not to take too long. it's always best when the driver is the one steering the rig - not fate.

m[addsig]

Ok. Acutally got to work on my Jeep today. The problem is the bottom bearing at the end of the column in the engine compartment. It is a needle bearing and had slid out of the plastic piece that it's pressed into. Now I have one more question concerning this column business. How much travel, in and out does this steering column supposed to have?? I always thought the shaft from the column to the steering box had the slip joint. Anyone have any thoughts on this? My repair book doesn't cover much on this. Thanks again.[addsig]

first, if you're going to keep your rig, spend the cash $70-ish on a factory repair manual for your year. i bought one and use it all the time. well worth the investment. there is a slip joint on mine to allow the shaft some collapsing room in the event of a head-on to keep the column from penetrating your chest.

have you pulled the column out yet?[addsig]

I know I need to get a factory service manual. The Chilton and Haynes only cover the basics. I ended up not taking the column out. I was just curious about the movement in the output shaft. Thanks again. [addsig]

If you would be so kind. It would be appreciated. Thanks[addsig]

Back