Maintenance RequiredLight on :(

I have a 1993 Wrangler. I just got done putting a new stereo system in and when i started it up the maintenance required light was on. Wondering if there is a sequence of some sort to turn it off, or if i have to go to a dealer.

I've found some info that said the light comes on at about 85,000 miles for emissions. But it doesn't make much sense to me, seeing how i have a 350 engine and 700 R4 trans. The electronics are changed for that engine. It doesn't run any different than before and the other gauges all read fine. I'm not realy sure what would have caused it to come on. What would it be connected to for sensors? I tried disconnecting the battery for a while and that didn't work either. i guess i'll just pull the bulb and run it. Not the ideal fix but i just know what it would be.

Mine came on yesterday at less than 70K miles. Checked the codes and it pointed too the aft O2 sensor, said it was too lean. I reset the code and am waiting to see if it returns before I go troubleshooting it.
There is a way to reset most computers but I do not know the process.
Good luck.

bring it in to autozone for a code scan. they do it for free. If a sensor is reporting, get a print out of the part and cost and then let us know what it is.

You can have them also reset the codes but if it comes back, then it is something that needs attention. On mine, i had an O2 sensor reported but that happened after i had stalled taking off on a red light. i reset my code, and it was all good.

a misread.

Not sure on your model, but on my 2004, I can reset codes by disconnecting the battery for more than 3 minutes.

To use the "check engine light" method for reading computer codes, turn key on, off, on, off, on, off and then on. Then count how many times the check engine light blinks. There will be pauses between numbers.
For example #14 (one flash, pause, four flashes) code #55 (5 flashes, pause, 5 flashes )

Last edited:
Back