major overhaul, chevy conversion ????

PJ_is_jeepin

whats up ya'll , hope you guys can help in making some decisions on my conversion project. im gathering parts, and throwin money out there to do this, just need some input.
here are the scenarios

1990 yj (ugly islander) 4cyl.

got hands on totally rebuilt s/b 350, with all the fun goodies

happened to find an sm465 (granny gear) matched up with the coveted np205 ( both for $200, and he threw in a grill for a nova-different project)

i could either drop in the 350 with the 465 and get the TC adapter from Advanced adapters, or i could drop in some new axles.

mind you the np205 case drops on the opposite side of the stock np231.
i can get my hands on a number of axles also.

what front axle do you guys recommend for my jeep that would line up with the np205. alot of ppl have been tellin me to go with some old chevy 10 bolts.

or do you think i should set the np205 off to the side for now, drop in the adapter for the 231 , and save the hard work and money for later?

dont ask if ill sell the np205 either , its tits! lmao

dana 44 from a scout works good in the front for the 205.
a dana 44 from a wagoneer works with a 231.
I would beef up the 231 with a SYE and heavy duty output shaft and use the wagoneer.

I'd save the money on an adapter and use the 205 if possible, and the Wagoneer can be found with pass. side drop front D44.

Look for F/R D44 from a Scout or Wagoneer, and remember that the Scout has 0* caster, makes it tougher to lift correctly.

Power brake upgrade on an 82 CJ7

Chevy's (73-91) came with an array of axle's, 10 bolt was none of them, even the little 6 bangers can with a 12 bolt, and these were also the rear!
I believe if you get a front axle out of one of these trucks (dana 44/ 12 bolt was the smallest configuration, it should line up with the np 205. of course this is with some major cutting down and plenty of $ loot $ to spare!

I have see YJ's with modified d 44 and 9inchers from pre 77 bronco's which is to my understanding a easier swap.

do some research and search the web to see what you come up with!

Johnny

my new friend jim at advanced adapters was very cool, he didnt try to sell me the adapter.

after talking to him, he told me to go with the ford 9

i can get my hands on a few wagoneers, hell one guy even has one to trade for a radial arm saw. but then ill lose the 205, and have to beef the 231, and use adapter.

the axles out of the broncos are very hard to find, ive been non-stop looking. its even harder here in northern ohio, where the bronco builders are greedy with their spare parts.

just curious , whats the lug pattern on the wagoneer and bronco?

im pretty sure im gonna lose my rims, but looking at my loss compared to my gain ( bad ass yj with chevy comps)im not too worried.besides old man has a ranger, ill let him use them.

i can also get a hold of a rear dana 60 for free, just have to pick it up. im thinkin to go with this dana 60 and another one from a chevy 3/4 for the front. but then i run into the problem of the axle being very very wide.

from what im told it isnt cheap to get them narrowed.

my local drive shaft shop will be able to do whatever i need, but they dont narrow axles.

my thoughts on what to do are getting slimmer though.

i think i am goin to set the 205 off to the side for now, collect some axles for later, and beef up my 231 (sye, and cv). i will most likely only last a short while on the cheap ol' stock axles. no real crawlin for a while.(prays-------please let me get this electrician apprenticeship)

so heres what ill have s/b 350, sm 465, stock axles,soa,and a 231(sye and cv)

then once i find the best axles to do, ill have the transfer case to put in and a beefed up 231 with 465 adapter to sell.

just curious who has the best, simplest wiring harness'?

Howell engine development. howell-efi.com

Painless is far from painless.

If your going with a 350 advance adapters has a good engine mount that a direct bolt on to the frame and should keep your transfercase in the stock location providing your transmission isn't longer than stock.

The Waggy axles are 6lug, dunno what the Bronco's have. Both are a good choice, good width for Wranglers.

Buddy of mine installed axles from a J20 in his YJ, D44 front and D60 rear, both are full-width. They are 8-lug and he's using rims with mucho backspacing to bring the wheels back in a bit.

Say goodbye to tight jeep trails if you go with full-width axles.

Those bronco's are in fact 5 on 5 1/2! All for full size light duty trucks have that bolt pattern (58+) and all heavy duty have 8 lug except for a couple of odd ball 98+ f 250 HD with 7 lug pattern

If you do go with the full width axles, you can always cut them down but again $loot$

Johnny

aight guys thanks for some of the input, i checked out the wiring harness, and i ordered some new gauges for my dash panel.

i am stickin with the 231, and stock axles for now, i have to get this thing on the road.

for my fall/winter project ill be putting in 3/4 ton axles out of a 78 suburban. and an np205. theyll be pretty damn wide, but ill be putting in backspaced rims. and it wont look so bad when its sittin high up there. the bad thing is i wont be able to fit between the gate and cement pole at my favorite 4wheelin spot anymore.

as for my rims, my dad has a ranger that will look pretty sweet lifted a lil, with my eagle alloys that are on my jeep right now.

so its one last trip to summit (i know how cool right, i live right by it) to get everything else i need. and then i have all the parts lined up.

i also have every piece of stainless steel you can get to throw on this thing when i am all done, and its getting a fresh coat of black paint. ill be back to post how its goin,post pics, and to sell all the parts i replaced.

thanks again guys, happy trails to all who helped!

Back