Max lift without sye?

Joopin

Super Moderator

Since I got my Jeep I've been all revved up to put the SOA on, supposed to do it next month actually. I was thinking today that I havn't really looked at any other kind of lift... I see the price to gain a couple inches and it scares me off!
Anyway, if I don't need to put on an sye or cv shaft it would save me some cizzash... but I of course want a big lift and I wanted a minimum of 33s. So that is the question, what is the max lift I can get out of my YJ without buying the sye or cv shaft? AND I know some people out there like Big Black Jeep did the Soa without an sye, but I want my driveline to be solid (not saying BBJs isn't) and I don't want to take any chances especially since it would be my first SOA and I'm doing it myself. Thanks people![addsig]

Joop I put the 3" Rough Country lift on Jeezabell and 31's. I have no vibrations at all other than the meats rolloing slow on pavement. Did the trannsfer drop that come with the kit and thats all. Look at the clearence and you can see that 33's would be no big deal at all with it I just like the open area for the flex. 33's would only add 1 inch to the fenderwell area plenty of room. Good Luck tug

image-missing.png
[addsig]

could always trim the flares.... or if your laws will allow it... remove them[addsig]

I had 6" of lift without sye and worked fine. Didn't have problems untill I flipped the springs.

Diagnostic Codes

But remember, you guys do have a SYE. I have a 4 inch lift that netted about 4.25 inches of actual lift. I am vibration free except when I shift from 4th to 5th, I get a little shake that goes right away. I am going to perform a SYE when I get some cash together!
Even if vibration is not a factory, with any vehicle lifted 4+ inches and sees trail dutie, a SYE would be a great investment! Adds a CV style shaft that transfer power to the rear better and also adds a heavier duty output shaft from the T-case. If you do a SYE, most of the sources I have checked say to also replace the chain with a tougher unit if you have 50K+ miles!

In the T-case (np 231 model) there is a chain or rather a link of chains approximatly 6-7 links wide (guessing here) that transfers the rotation of the main and out put shaft to the front drive shaft when engaged into 4wd. Over time and use, just like the chain on your bike, the chain gains some slack and can cause a possible malfunction.

image-missing.png

This pic shows the difference in the out put shafts and you can see the chain.

The longer one on the left is the original and the one on the left is the shorter and beefier one included in the SYE kit.

Johnny

Does the new shaft come with the sprocket on it, or do you have to carry that over from stock, the picture shows that the sprocket was removed from the stock shaft

you may just want to lenghten the drive shafts its a heck of a lot cheaper than sye and may check with re on some shims for the rearend....

If you lengthen them.... you are still at a crutial angle with the Ujoints, and will still experience problems

Back