my 8.8

currupt4130

VT Hokie
RE: Re: RE: x-mas present...

its in! finally, i had to get a 1330-1310 u joint from napa but my 8.8 is under my jeep, stainless steel lines across the axle, discs, 4.10s for now, and a lockright. woohoo im so happy, i feel like a corvette when i hit my brakes, theyre so cool. hah im just overly excited because i now have a rearend thats 120% stronger than that twig known as a d35

RE: Re: RE: x-mas present...

right on!!! movin' right along ain't ya! - thats def. one mod on my "to do" wish-list - i'll be tappin' your brain when i get to that one (prob after the holidays.... $$$) - enjoy!

RE: Re: RE: Just what you need for your bicycle.

uhmm i didnt set them up, the guy i bought it from had it under a yj and then decided to buy a rubi and part out the yj. it really doesnt look hard tho, just a two 18"lines, a 15" line, like 3 or 4 adapters and the line going down to the axle, i can give you all the part numbers for everything if you want

not a problem, ill post them as soon as possible, i need to start compiling a list of aftermarket parts because im getting to the point i cant remember them all so this will be a good place to start

mrpink said:
not as cool but i now have a cb with ant.

thats nice :roll:

..good job on the axle swap! did you need a new proportioning valve or bigger master to run those disks/

Re: RE: my 8.8

no they run just fine, im sure theyd work better with a proportioning valve but theyre doin great so far. i might put it on a list of things to do to find a dual sized master cylinder tho...

You may need to do some modifications to your braking system, as West was asking, or you may not. Normal operation isn't going to tell you that though. I'm sure you have already done this, as I would after a brake swap......but if not, get it up to 55 and slam on the brakes to see what it's going to do. They may work fine with regular light usage, but they may become a real handfull in a panic stop situation.

By the way......Cool! The 8.8" is a good YJ swap if it's got the rear discs. Without the discs though, I wouldn't waste my time on a C-clip axle.

Not to start a whole grudge building discussion about axle strength or anything, but I'm NOWHERE near being convinced that an 8.8" is 120% stronger than a D35. I've seen people blow their whole drivetrain budget trying to get that magical D44 under the front of their YJs, when the factory D30 can be brought to within 10% of it's strength(on paper) with some readily available aftermarket parts.....and weigh less doing it. Also, without some documentation from the manufacturers concerning heat treating, machining methods, and a blueprinted case to test, I just can't see how those figures can be reached in an accurate manner. Just because two shafts may be the same size, it in no way guarantees that they will be equally strong, which kind of kills the whole "my axle is XX% stronger than this or that" argument. Installation practices will often dictate the strength of a differential and gears.

Back