need help forethwith!!!!!

4x4Fish

i am in the process of installing a flex-a-lite electric fan. I need to know ,set up between the radiator and the engine ,does the fan need to set up as a pusher or puller . does it even matter?????

It is probably made to mount only one way. Therefore if it is made to be a puller fan attached behind the radiator, and you mounted it on the opposite side of the radiator, it would be trying to pull the air in the wrong direction. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

The fan is probably designed as a pull type, to be mounted behind the radiator (most are). A little protection isn´t a bad thing, large clumps of mud and such.
Having said that, most fans push better than they pull. The blades are out there in clean air and don´t have to deal with turbulance. (or the restriction of the air trying to be pulled, through the radiator).

i forgot to add that the fan is universal. the blades can be reversed to a pusher fan. and still mount from between the engine and the radiator

If it pushes, it should be mounted in front of the radiator, pull behind. If you push from behind, you´ll be pushing adainst the normal air flow.
If you have a four cylinder, it could push hard enough to stop your Jeep.
:lol: Just a joke.

well i have the fan and the adjustable temp control set up. but i cannot seem to get the overide cut off switch to work right. the fan either stays on but will not shut it off..

Override cutoff switch? Is this to manually turn off the fan? If so, just install a power switch inline with the switched power that goes to the fan relay. Don't put it on the main power supply for the fan, the switch won't handle the power draw. Worked fine for me.

Here's mine, and yes there is an engine in there, probably room for another 4banger:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

WOW thats a tiny lil engine!
:shock:
Never seen the 4 before.

im glad to see the fan pic -thanks- im thinking of dropping one in as well when spring rolls around

damn Chrysler screws again!

Not sure if anyone is interested. I am about to install my pusher fan off a V6 Nissan Frontier/Xterra. (It is an auxillary AC fan) I haven't spent any time on it as far as hardware and switching. But the fan assembly should be under a $100 at any dealer. I figured another $25 in gadgets for switching and mounting. It is a hi-low fan I figured I will switch it to work for both and then a manual kill switch for water crossings.

I will post something when I get it installed and working how I like it.

okay the fan runs but when i drive in traffic the engine runs hotter +210 degrees, does the factory fan shroud have to be put back in also. and am i missing anything???

Bounty__Hunter said:
Here's mine, and yes there is an engine in there, probably room for another 4banger:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png
Hey Bounty Hunter, I've been considering a flex-a-lite for my 4 banger YJ. Did you notice any difference in performance?
-TC

you will notice a hell of a difference... the 2.5 is a small motor... you'll notice that you will gain back a good percentage of horses from getting rid of that drag creating clutch fan... up to about 8% gains in some vehicles

Bounty__Hunter said:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

:!: Hell boy, I think you got room for a couple more squirrels in there. Just put another fourbanger in there and you'd have an inline 8. How cool would that be.

Oh yeah, 4x4fish, all modern cars have pullers. Unless you live in Antarctica or only drive when it's twenty below you don't need or want a pusher. That might be you overheating problem too. If the fan is pushing, it is blowing hot air from the engine compartment across the radiator. Even if it is 110 outside it is likely cooler than what's under the hood.

After you put the fan in, did you change the thermostat? I believe that flex-a-lite recomends that the T stat be swaped for a lower temp unit? You might want to play with the idea of putting the shroud back on, should not be needed but if your over heating it is a safe precaution. also you wired the fan in to the T stat right??
flex-a-lite and painless both offer a relay kit to do this!

how much lower should i go? i guess i will put the factory shroud back on.

I would stick with a 180 degree and adjust your fan temp setting down a bit. Is your a adjustable temp ste up a prob that sticks in the radiator fins?? Or is it a sender unit that screws into the rad or manifold? The universal ones that stick into the radiator fins tend to be bit cheesy. If you can find a temp sender that threads in and is the right temp that would be your best bet.

you dont need the shroud with an e-fan. The shroud is to direct the air from the factory clutch fan because of it's distance from the radiator. IF you have your e-fan setup right, the shroud should be thrown away. Check your instructions again, and google-search the net for someone else's write up on this install.

C

Back