Need help with 98 TJ!!!!!

Teksyn

Hey guys. I'm new and need help. My 98 TJ will drop to idle while driving. When it does this, it will not respond to the accelarator for a couple of minutes, then will run fine for 10-15 miles before doing it again. Mechanic changed crank sensor, then said he suspected computer problem, then called today and said "come get it, I can't fix it." He did say that he checked the tps input to the computer and it was ok. I would really appreciate any advice, because I rely on my jeep alot and need it relyable ASAP. Thanks in advance for any help... Oh yeah...6cyl., auto, 55k. [addsig]

Is the check engine light coming on at all?

Try this:
  • Push and hold the odometer reset button while the ignition is off
  • Turn the ignition to run (not start) and back off
  • Read the number in the odometer, tell us what you get

edited by: Bounty__Hunter, Jun 22, 2003 - 01:53 AM[addsig]

No lights, buzzers or anything. I will try the code check in the morning and let you know. Thanks[addsig]

I tried the odometer code trick this morning. It read 2.4 . Any ideas? Thanks again.

Chad

edited by: Teksyn, Jun 22, 2003 - 06:14 AM[addsig]

Replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It's on the firewall side of the throttle body.[addsig]

I've been having the same problem about once a week. It tends to happen on my cherokee when I pull out onto an access road, speed up, only to have it sputter and get stuck at idle for 3-5 seconds :-O. I'll be interested to hear if the TPS solves your problem.
-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jun 22, 2003 - 05:52 PM[addsig]

Even though your 'check engine' light was not on at the time, the computer still stored the trouble code whenever the problem threw the code.

A good cleaning of the throttle body helps too, easy to remove and clean with carb cleaner and a tooth brush (preferably one you are no longer using on your teeth :lol: )[addsig]

OK.... changed the tps and ran great for a couple of hours... then did it again. Now it also seems that the rev limiter wants to kick in at around 3k istead of 5k sometimes. The stall did'nt seem to last quite as long this time (I was able to stay on the road until it caught). Always seems to happen at hwy speeds (50+). Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance.

Chad[addsig]

Check the codes, see if it has thrown another code. Did you clean the TB real good?[addsig]

Same code. I wil clean TB and try again. Several people are saying fuel filter/pump. What do you think?

Chad[addsig]

Back