Need info about electronics on 85 cj7

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member

I'm trying to rebuild my 85 CJ7 after a tub swap, and am having a few problems.

I put the steering column in, and I noticed that there is a white electrical connector or box that two wire harnesses fit into. There appears to have been some springs and other moving pieces in there. I don't even know if mine is complete, and if not, where is a good place to get one? What the heck is it even called?

Thanks guys!

Terry[addsig]

Well, I have no idea what you are describing, but may I suggest you pick up a shop manual for your Jeep. I am not too sure if Jeep produces the type of manual I am talking about, but when I had my Grand Am, I invested in a Grand Am Shop manual. I am not talking about the $10 manual you get at autozone. I am talking about the book the dealer techs use to work on your SPECIFIC model and year. My cost $90 new, but it was well worth it. I had a seperate book for the electronic side of my car, so it was great. A good place to find out if they make these is a Jeep Dealer. Ask the parts dept., cause I bet a sales person will not give you acurate info. Hope this helps.[addsig]

Just a guess, but sounds like it could be your ignition switch. If they didn't change the design from 80, then i bet that's what it is. If so then there should be some type of connecting rod on the steering column that will be operated by the key. When I took my column out I broke my ignition swith and some springs and contacts came out. Fairly easy to fix though.[addsig]

Could it be your turn signal reset. You know when you put your turn sigal on then turn the corner it automatically turns off?[addsig]

Back