Need some '88 YJ advice with some 70-75 engine thrown in

remraf26

I recently purchased an 88 yj with a 258 i6. Was doing some tune up maintenance and found out the 258 is actually an older model then the jeep itself. I could use some help on I.D.ing exactly which motor I have, and also ironing out a few other difficulties I'm having.

I replaced the the valve cover gasket. It took a few tries to track down the right one. The motor has a steel valve cover. Plus the gasket that finally fit said it was for something like a 1965-1970 something AMC 258

On the passengers side of the block will be a 6 digit number just below the head ( the 4th digit will be a letter). This is the date code, the 1st number of the code represents the last number of the year it was made ( I.e. 3=1983). Post the code and we will help you decode it......

Okay.. May take some time to find.. The bright minded fellow who owned it before me thought the engine would look good with multiple layers of blue and orange spray paint.. Lol

I think we have all been in similar situations, but on the bright side: it's now yours to fix up the way you want.

By the way, welcome to Jeepz brother!

Ok, so it's an older one. Without seeing a detailed photo(s) of it, we can assume its a 1st generation 258. The code means: 6=1973, 11= Nov., A= 1 barrel carb and 09= the day of the month.

Well that's good to know... I've got a small oil leak on the top of the timing chain cover.. And I'm not sure if the oil filter I got is the right one because I went from losing a little oil when I drive it to a lot since I did an oil change.. I can take some pictures tomorrow if you tell me what you need pictures of unless you just want all around shot of the engine

All around is good, mostly the head/valve cover. If you put the filter for a YJ in, it's the wrong size. YJ filters have a larger base and an internal check valve.

I tried to match up to what was on it.. But wait till you see the mess of paint and wires.. I'm going to have to put in a new wiring harness eventually.. So no power to the heater and I had to wire up a new horn to get a sticker.. Lol.. What can I use to start getting that paint off but won't eat up my hoses and gaskets?

Maybe others have a better way of getting the paint off, but I took a rag and poured laquor thinner on it and wiped the motor down. Long process and wasn't fun. lol

Found the reason for my oil leak today also. There is a bolt missing in the top of my timing chain cover

Attachments

• image-2077154778.jpg
    image-2077154778.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 286
  • image-2543397177.jpg
    image-2543397177.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 308
  • image-3401307921.jpg
    image-3401307921.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 256
  • image-709837082.jpg
    image-709837082.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 261

Oh. And does anyone have any idea how long the dipstick should be on this motor?

Back