New From sw PA

JohnnyO

Hello all, JohnnyO from Pittsburgh here. Just got a used '97 Wrangler for my daughter (happy 16th birthday) who has wanted one ever since she was old enough to know what a Jeep was. She started out with the pink battery-powered Barbie Jeep at age 4. 4-banger, automatic, 142,000 miles, but seems to be in very good shape. Needs a teeny bit of work but it's stuff we can do together.

I am well-known on the Ranger, Explorer, and Sport Trac boards and can say that I've met and wheeled with Jim Allen personally on a few occasions.

Any tips on cleaning the fabric top would be appreciated. It's in real good shape, but dirty.

Attachments

• Jeep1.jpg
    Jeep1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 221
hey some one kinda local.... :)

as for the top, best top or mopar top cleaner.... nice stuff :) see ya on the trails near by...

see ya on the trails near by...
Thanks. Been to Wellsville, OH many times with the Ranger clubs.
I'm thinking 31's and I've always liked the look of M/T Classic II's or Pro Comp 1069's on Wranglers, but it's my daughter's and she can get what she wants.

welcome to the Z. That sounds like a great dad/daughter bonding project. :welcome:

Thanks all! I do have to get used to the "Jeep wave" thing. Other Jeepers wave and I forget and then think "Oh (crap), that's right, I gotta wave back". Don't want to appear rude.

:welcome: to the Z

The 31" tires will fill the wheel wells nicely.You will need some spacers or rims with some more backspacing.If not the will rub on the control arm when turning left.

Got a little bit of work done on it today. Took it to my friend's transmission shop for a fluid and filter change, which he said looked okay. I told him to do the t-case fluid too since he had it anyway and he reported that it was full of water. Also the skidplate was ready to fall off so he added some new bolts and washers, also two much longer bolts for which he drilled two holes in the top frame rail since the lower holes were rusty and hogged out. I'll drive it for 2000 miles and change the ATF in the t-case again. I'll get the axles pretty soon too.

Today's father-daughter project. Painted the mirrors, hood loop, and wiper arms. Primed them and painted them satin black with Krylon. Paint was peeling from them. Had the axles' lube changed at the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube this week where they just suck the old out with a machine and it took 15 minutes. At $39.99 per axle it's not worth the bother of doing it myself, besides which if I R&R the diff covers myself they will leak. Forever. I don't have good luck with that sort of stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back