New guy building his first jeep

You could try to find a roll bar in a junk yard if it's not seized on fast to the floor. Do you want the newer style roll bar only? I'm kind of doing a "keep it cheep project" like you, and I've learned beggars can't be choosers.

If you have some more gas piping, you could make your own cage. :D Just kidding.

Yeah it had the body lift on it when i bought it. The lift shackles are only on the rear, the front i reverse shackled so that gave me a little lift. My plan is to run 38's on it when i get all the other kinks worked out on it. the 35's were just on the f150 axle donor vehicle, and they are dry wrotted so they will need replaced. I dont think this thing will ever see the road its strictly to offroad in and i'm going to tie the cage into the frame so i dont think the body lift will be an issue, and i really dont want to mess with taking it out. All together i dont have much money in it. $1700.00 and thats inclduing the price i payed for the jeep,but when i buy new tires and a winch that will probably double.

yeah it had the stock cage in it when i bought it and like an idiot i scrapped it...now i'm kicking myself for it

I would still take out the Body lift. My junk is getting sprung over on XJ leafs front and rear (about 5-5.5" of lift) and plan on running 40" LTB's I still think you will be a huge tip over hazzard that tall especially if you need to side slope on an incline.

Well we are not far apart then, i'm from silver lake which is right near warsaw

About an hour and a half. I'm north of Ft. Wayne in Ashley. I figured you would be down south towards the mountains. Where do you plan on wheeling your Jeep?

i'm not really sure. i have a couple buddies that have some trails in their woods, but they go all over so i'll probably tag along with them. I'd like to go to the badlands in attica, I took my 4 wheeler there a few years ago and it was pretty cool. I'm not really sure where else to go though. I've heard haspen acres is also fun, but thats quite a ways to trailer it unless i'd go for a weekend.

Oh yeah, trailers. I didn't think about that. Me and hopefully a couple other friends are going to the Badlands or Haspin Acres sometime. Also, in August, I may be going to Kentucky for a reunion near Harlen with my grandpa. He used to take me for Jeep rides and told me I need to return the favor. ;)

yeah maybe if mine is up and running we should get a group of us and go to the badlands someday this spring, i've three other buddies with nice jeeps that i'm sure would want to go... how old are you by the way??

Yeah that would be fun, that is, if my Jeep is done, too. I'm 16, which is kind of the reason why I'm trying to keep things cheap. I'm running off money I earned in the summer which is quickly disappearing.

By the way, I've got some pretty chrome stuff with matching bumperettes I want to sell if you're interested. :lol:

well crap your younger than i am, i'm only 24.... sorry i dont need any chrome stuff, i painted over all of it on mine...i had all stainless hinges and all the other junk like that ...now its black

I figured you wouldn't want any since it's an off road only rig. I just get a kick out of "bumperettes". For some reason, every time I see that word, I think of pink ballerinas.

But yeah, I never got into sports or anything, so stuff that burns gas was another outlet, I guess.

yeah i have a set of bumprettes in my scrap pile...i didnt even know what they were untill about a month ago

Hey man,

I just want to say good job building that beast in your garage. Though these guys may have some good advice, at the end of the day it's your Jeep, and you built it. That's the best part fo having a project rig, it's never done! I'm about to start a build up on a bone stock 91 YJ I just picked up and my main goal is to do everything myself, so I get where you're comming from. Keep it up dude, but make sure it's safe!

Back