New guy here

chicagoguy78

Check Engine and Gage light and oil gage now working right:

i was just wondering what could be wrong. This moring I started my 99 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited and the Oil gage didn't move. While driving to work the check engine and check gage light came on when I would be in slow traffic. Don't know to much about the mechanics of Jeeps. Please help me out this is the first time ths happened and I am not due for an oil change for another 1000 miles. I aloso have 113k miles on it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Chi Guy

Hey just wanted to say welcome to the board. Not to sure what the problem could be since I don't know much about the GC. However this is the place to find out and I'm sure some one will be along shortly with some advice. You could always contact the stealership to find out what is up :?

firt thing: DO NOT DRIVE THE JEEP UNTIL YOU HAVE VERIFIED THE OIL IS MOVING THROUGH THE SYSTEM!

second: is there oil in it? if there is, verify that the oil pressure gauge is still hooked up.. look for loose wires on the side of the engine block. if you have no oil pressure, you WILL fry the engine if you drive it too far. one of 3 things will cause low oil pressure readings: a bad gauge/sending unit (no major problem, can be driven till fixed), no oil in the engine (a leak, fill & keep an eye on it till you get it fixed), or a bad oil pump (don't even start the engine, tow it). you need to know which it is. if you cant figure it out and dont know anyone that can without you having to drive it, have it towed to a repair shop to be checked out/repaired. running without oil pressure will most likely result in a siezed engine.

Try checking for any trouble codes stored on your jeep's computer.
  • With key off, push and hold the odometer reset button
    Turn key to run (not start)
    Turn key off and release osometer reset button
    Record what numbers are displayed on the odometer

Does your airbag light come on? Jeeps of that similar year have problems with the guage cluster and it's connection to the vehicles' wiring harness, I know it applies to XJ's but I'm not sure about WJ's.

I am beginning to think it is an electrical problem. Not to long ago my Horn just started going off for no reason at all. I took it to jeep and they disconnected the horn and said it might be electrical. Then I was driving back from out of town and I slammed on my brakes because there was an accident in front of me and my ABS light stayed on the whole ride back (8hrs) The oil gage fixed itself and the lights don't come one anymore but now instead of it not moving at all it has moved to the right of the half line. Starts everyday but runs a lil rough every now and then. I checked the oil and it's fine. Please advise.

Back