new jeeper question

LtFuzz

Hey all, i'm Mike, and i just bought my 1st car, a 1987 YJ, 4.2L I6...its a pretty good car for me, mostly because i have always wanted one. anyways, i was wondering if anyone knows anything that could be wrong with my jeep. i tried to turn on the vent while driving to get some cool air during a rainstorm, and no joy, nothin worked. is there anything i can do?

also...whats with the jeep wave...i was drivin around with no doors yesterday and every wrangler owner gave me a peace sign type wave...i think its cool as i did it too, but whats the meaning? thanks! :cool:

Mike Cox
c/Capt, CAP[addsig]

check out old posts about the "jeep wave" you'll find everything you need about that there..as for the vent..gots me[addsig]

Welcome I to have an 87 YJ only a 4 banger. Love it! Vent to be honest I have never even tryed to use mine. I just loose the top doors or half door uppers depending on the weather. If it gets real hot I just start taken off clothes. Most folks really frown when My big old fat frame starts to be exposed. So let us hope it don't get to hot this year. lol

As for the wave you are going to get a kick out of this one. You are now a Jeep owner, next step is a Jeep driver, then you will become a Jeeper. Jeepers wave at other Jeepers. It is a life style of jeeps as Quinters puts it. Remember you have to take your Jeep off road to keep it running. They require x amount of freedom. Waven and off roading and mud makes you a happy Jeeper and your Jeep and happy Jeep.

Again welcome to the Jeepz board. Tug :-D [addsig]

The vent should be on the passenger side of the vehicle right about where the passenger would put there feet. It should look like a vent/grate with a grey foam. That foam is suppose to flap open to let in the air. It sounds like the cable to the vent is broken or disconnected. Or the vent door maybe stuck. Does the lever move if it does move it back on forht and you should see it move and where it gets connected. If the lever does not move the door is stuck. Just try and push the door with a screw driver or something.[addsig]

Hey welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps :cool: You are going to have a blast with the wave thing. It is like a unity thing between Jeepers, kinda like people with motorcycles. Welcome to the board my man.

[addsig]

I've never used my vent either.. it just lets the warm air hit you in spots that it wouldn't hit you otherwise... about the wave... i guess they've all hit the topic... well.. when i first got mine, i noticed it right away as well... i became a waver within 15 minutes.. you know you're on your way to becoming a jeeper when you actually feel bad about missing a wave because you're trying to talk on the phone, eat food, hold a drink, shift, and steer.[addsig]

Oh yeah, and Mike... don't ever, never ever, call your Jeep a 'car' again. That will hurt it's feelings, and might cause it to quit on you. Jeeps have feelings, too, man.

My vent was stuck. Turned out that the spring on the lever by the vent (passenger side) was so old, that it had no bounce left in it. So I had to clip a link out of it and re-bend the end so that it would work for me. WD-40 is good to have on hand too.

c
:cool: [addsig]

Yeah, Jeeps are not cars. They are in a class of their own. I knew about the wave before I got my jeep because one of my friends explained it to me when I was riding in his jeep. As for the vent thing, on mine the lever goes easily to about 1" from the end of the track. I have to force it over hard, but when I do i get a nice cool breeze.

TARSI[addsig]

Can't say for sure about the YJ's, but my CJ's vent is cable operated. I have to damn near pull the dash off the frame to get the vent to open, but it opens. (that is if the knob stays on! :lol: )
Go ahead and climb your but up under the dash and look at the cables, try to determin why your vent is'nt working Trace the cable as far as you can. If everything seems to point that it's connected, it's probably just stuck! (cable rusted etc...) Ask your jeep real nicely (since you called it a car) to take you down and get some penetrating oil (WD40) remove the dash knob (if it has one) and spray the cable up! spray the vent end as well.

You will need to feed her some mud occaisonally, some weeds, a little rock, she'll stay happy, so will you.
:-D [addsig]

Hey and welcome to the board.

The wave is simple. It's a Jeep thing. We wave to each other, some do and don't wave back.

It sounds like the vent cables are messed up.

Todd
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back