New leafs spring

lambo

Well the other day I put 6- 4x8 peices of sheet rock on the top of the xj. Hit a couple of bumps and sounded like I was rubing the tires! Should,nt the bump stops prevent that? My tires are 235,s instead of the stock 225,s maybe thats why, but anyhow im replacing the leafs. The old ones are bent in many places.. I will do the shocks too. All stock stuff no lifts. I have used wd40 for the last three days on all nuts and bolts. I keep reading about the top bolts of the shock mounts break 90% of the time. Just hope im in the 10% gang. I do have air tools, die grinder, and sawsall handy. Although hope not to do any cutting, We will see!! So wish me luck and i will let you guys know how it comes out...

lots of pb let them soak should be fine , I did a lift in my 60+ year old cj no issues after using pb

i put a lift on my 87 cherokee and no bolts broke. and it came from a town near the ocean and i live about 3 minutes from the ocean

Me to on the ocean, This xj went threw its first 11 years between Quincy Ma. And a place called Rocky-Nook in Kingston Ma. I can hit the Ocean with a rock from there! But lucky its still a baby only 83,000 Hope I can get her done.. Im an OK back yarder but this is my first time with springs. Ive been pb-in the suckers prety good and the bolts dont look that bad. Although I already messed up, Just got back from parts store and the bolts I got for the shackles will not work on the fronts because I got the wrong thred and those nuts are welded so I need to save the ones I pull,,, DOH! You think I should have known the after all the threads ive been reading, but you know how it is at the hardwear store with the wife! And Ill leave it at that.. My mistake!! The bill rite now is at $370 ---Springs- $113 bushings- $28 u bolts -$8 shocks- $45 P&b -- hopefully priceless..Its parked on an incline so it dont look that bad but a little poundage on there and rubbin wheel well.... Ill post pics of progress Wish me luck.....ty Did I mention that it was owned by a 80 somthing year old locksmith, that only drove it to Kingston on the weekend! And thats no sales story... This guy could fix anything. I wish he were still here becouse he had a lot of knowlage that I couldnt get enough of. Also a WW2 vet.---.R.I.P.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

your in Ma? Go to Crown Auto in Canton, Ask for Jeff, tell him I sent you (jps4jeep, he'll know) they sell a stock HD XJ rear that will only give about 1/2" lift over stock, but will level out your ride and has a higher spring rate.. plaus it is only like $120 for the pair.. maybe less. I can get you his unmber if you want to call first.

the ***** will be if you replace your shocks, the rear upper mounts are bound to be seized and will snap. if they don't I will be suprised.

Wish I talked to you before I got them. As I understand it crown does not sell to the public. I did get crowns though just threw nanpa 226 for the pair.

Well here are some pics of the job. Went well. After trying to rastle the front leaf-to-frame bolts for about an hour I just cut the leaf and left about 5 inches. Used a BFH and pounded on the 5 inches that were left on the spring and cooked the bushings with the good ole torch and they unseized and came out. I did break one upper shock bolt but just drilled and tapped. I dont know why guys cut into the floor boards, When a drill fits rite in there. Other than that I had fun. The boy even got under there with me for a little bit, He,s learning...

Attachments

• jeep12 003.jpg
    jeep12 003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 92
  • jeep12 005.jpg
    jeep12 005.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 94
  • jeep12 009.jpg
    jeep12 009.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 92
  • jeep12 010.jpg
    jeep12 010.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 84
  • jeep12 011.jpg
    jeep12 011.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 85
  • jeep12 012.jpg
    jeep12 012.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 93

Crown sells to the public, but only through the retail location in Canton, they will not ship, only over the counter sales. but the prices are considerably less for a lot of the items they carrie.

Back