new; some questions

Dan9

hey everyone, im new to the jeep world. one thing i know that i want is bigger tires. im also a poor college student paying for the loan on my 03 tj and insurance. for now, im just looking at different ways to getting bigger tires without a huge price. is 31x10.5 too big to put on without a lift. i was told if i hit a large bump or was offroading, a 31in might cause some fender damage. i found a 2" economy suspension system by rubicon express. i cant post a link cuz this is my first post but its on 4wd.com. it says max tire size is 32x11.5. is it kind of a rule not to go to max tire size? if so would 31s be ok with this product? what would be the problem with going to 32s because that is what i would really like to do. any other advice? thanks for looking and i appreciate any input.

Welcome.

I have 31's on my 06 TJ with no lift, and they fit just fine. You may experience rubbing when offroading, but not everday driving. If you are on a budget, pm me and I will give you a website to check out tire prices. (I dont want to advertise in the public!) Great prices and free shipping cant be beat! Good luck.

I've got 31X10.50's on my 99 and have yet to have anything rub. Still sitting on stock suspension height and sensi-Trac shocks

hey thanks for the replies everyone. TerryMason i saw that post a few days ago and i sent u a pm about it. i was wondering if u have any before and after pics. also, do u think i would be problem free with that and 32" tires? is it 100% problem free with the 31s. also itchee96, i am about to send u a pm, thanks. thanks again

itchee96, apparently i am not allowed to end pms until i hit 10 posts. any chance u could send me one? im not sure if i can recieve pms so idk. if not i will send u one when i hit 10 posts

thanks man, appreciate it, those are some good prices

Sorry I didn't reply Dan!

I don't have any before & after photos. I thought I took some, but can't seem to find them.

You'll be fine with 31's an a lift offroading no matter what you do, and you'll probably be ok with 32s and the lift. If you have problems with either, you could add a 1" body lift without any problems.

I'm running 31s on my 01 and I have a small rub if I turn lock to lock. Other than that no probs. I could probably readjust my turn stops, but I haven't tried.

thanks everyone. terrymason, no problem man, do u have any after photos then? i just want to get an image of a 2" lift if you dont mind. again, thanks everyone for the help.

would i be able to remove the sway bar and bump stops even with the 32" if i do the 2" lift and a 1" body lift? thanks. also, terrymason, how does it drive after the install? as good as before?

I did finally find a before picture - it's on my home computer. I'll take an after picture tonight and post them so that you can see.

As to removing the sway bar - you can remove it no matter the amount of lift you have - even if you don't have any lift at all. This will just allow your front tires to drop down lower. You want to have the swaybar connected when you are on the road, and disconnected when you are offroad.

2" of lift won't really change the feel of your Jeep. You just use the same stock suspension with a spacer sitting on top of them, and some new shocks. In my situation, the lift improved the overall feel because I had worn out shocks, and the new shocks made it ride nicer.

If you go over 2" of suspension lift (body lifts don't count), you may start getting driveline vibrations and other issues that you'll need to address.

My though is, if you really want 32s then go get the 32s. They should fit fine without a lift, and you can drive on the street. Then install the 2" lift and take it wheeling. Chances are you'll be fine with just that, but if not, you can add the body lift.

I'll post up some photos tonight.

Too bad you don't live closer to me, I know a guy who makes 1.75" lift pucks, my local club sells them all of the time for $100 installed. As for fitting 32s that shouldn't be a problem, I have 1.75" pucks, my 97 is a 4 cyl. so I installed 6 cyl., hard top springs, and then an extra stock coil isolator in the front to level it out and that gave me about 3", I usually run 31s but I have some 32 m/ts for offroad and this summer, for a short time, I even ran my 34" swampers off of my xj. They cleared just fine for street usage, although I wouldn't wheel with those.

Jeep TJ Suspension Lift
i just found this. what does everyone think. it seems like it might be a better way to go. any opinions appreciated. thanks

Everyone here has their own opinions on RC lifts.

My opinion is that they are junk.

Word on the street is that their products have gotten better, mainly their springs. I don't really like their components nor do I trust them from the issues I've personally seen and also read about in the past.

thanks for the honest answer, i appreciate it. so would youu recommend the original rubicon express lift? it just seemed like a better deal i guess mainly because you get more. if you dont mind, what makes rc lifts not as good? thanks

Back