New TJ Owner

Knicy6tj

Hey guys, I just bought my first tj and decided to install a 4 inch procomp lift and 33in tires. And my only complication now is that my gear ratios are all off. And need some advice on what to choose for fixing this problem. I'm pretty sure I have stock Dana 35's. I would really like to be able to use 5th gear again. Any advice?

Attachments

• image-2674822725.png
    image-2674822725.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 302

Sounds like you will need to regear the axles. Your front will be a 30 but not knowing what motor or year the rear could be a 35 or 44. Motor will also determine what gear ratio you currently have and you may need to swap the carriers as well.

Welcome to the Z. Looks like you have the 2.5L 4cyl engine. If this is the case, your stock gear ratio is 4.10 and you will need to regear to 4.88 in order to regain most of your stock performance.

If you have the 4.0L 6cyl engine you most likely have 3.07 gears, meaning 4.56 gears may be your best bet.

Check the tag attached to the diff cover bolts to determine the gear ratio. Post the numbers on the tag.

Knicy6tj said:
Hey guys, I just bought my first tj and decided to install a 4 inch procomp lift and 33in tires. And my only complication now is that my gear ratios are all off. And need some advice on what to choose for fixing this problem. I'm pretty sure I have stock Dana 35's. I would really like to be able to use 5th gear again. Any advice?

Sorry it's a 2002 Inline 6. 4.0L. Apex edition.

Like Bounty Hunter said 4.56 will be your best bet. You will need to replace the carriers front and rear as well as the ring and pinions.

Back