New to the jeepin world

Richardb98

Hey guys first post so don't butcher me, but I got my first car, a 1987 two door jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 and the problem is it's not getting fuel to the injectors. When you spray starter fluid into the intake, it will fire for a little but not much. Something I noticed is the the injectors are loose, as in like a screw they will move left and right (can't screw them all the way because of the wires) so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. But I know after cranking it for a couple seconds (cranks very slow due to battery) when I push in the fuel rail pressure release, nothing happens. Easy ways to check the pump or any other things? Hoping I don't have to replace that but I might. Also any fuses or wires to check?

It sounds like a fuel supply issue but I would change that battery up first. You have the 4.0 six cylinder? That is a super easy to work on fuel injection system and just requires a multimeter to check the sensors.

Thanks terry! And yeah inline 6, I've been doing a little reasearch and before I go ahead and replace the fuel pump, im going to check the fuel pump fuse and relay.

Welcome! Agree you need a strong battery. Fully charge and gave it load tested. A weak battery will cause more issues and have you chasing ghosts.

Second after fully charging the battery. Clean the terminal and opposite sides of the power and ground connections.

Injectors shouldn't wiggle and I don't know of any that screw in. Most press in and have one to three o-rings to seal them in.
The fuel rail holds them in place. I'd definitely verify the gaskets are there and they are installed properly into the intake and fuel Rail.

Third if it doesn't start try turning the key on for a 5 seconds then off. Then on for 5 seconds then start the vehicle. Sometimes the bleed back valve leaks and you loose the prime to the injectors.

At this point check the fuel pressure with the key on and while cranking. The pressure should not drop below 31 psi and 39 psi with the vac line disconnected from the regulator.

Welcome to jeepz.com and congratulations on your purchase of your first car , A JEEP !!!!! As posted , the battery will be your first item to tackle . You won't get far with a weak battery on a computer controlled engine . The PCM MUST received proper voltage or many issues will be experienced with things like sensors , electronic injection , ignition , charging system and more. If you find your getting voltage equal to the battery charge at the harness connector to the fuel pump and still no go then it's time to pull the fuel pump . Fortunately , it's easy to pull the pump on an XJ tank. You won't even have to drop it. Just jack up the rear high enough to get under and SAFELY put jack stands under the unibody chassis and allow the rear axle to hang down . You may want to undo the lower shock mounts to allow more drop. The idea is to be able to reach over the rear axle to reach the sending unit retaining ring and remove it to pull out the sending unit/fuel pump. Relieve the pressure in the fuel system first . Clamp off the fuel line to avoid spills , especially onto yourself since you'll be up close and personal with the fuel tank. Before delving into the pump change , do the checks you've researched and as SuoerJ posted , a strong battery is a must. You'll want to be sure what works and what dosen't first and only can be accomplished with a fully charged battery. In addition to any relays and fuses , you'll want to be sure there are no issues with the fuel pump ballast resistor and the ballasted resistor relay . These can easily be missed. Well , sounds like you plate is full but your posts are welcome should you've any questions or wish to share your results . Please remember that if any wiring is to be probed , good chance it may be electrically fed back through the PCM . You'll want to use computer safe test equipment . To start off , I suggest a computer safe test light. A VOM meter that is computer safe is a good investment. I use my trusty action sunpro meter which boasts 10 mega ohm impediance . Translated , that means it only uses 10 mega ohms to feed its digital display and won't over stress the electrical system your testing by trying to draw more colts from it than it normally puts out. That's the purpose of a computer safe test light and all test equipment . They won't exceed the maximum 5 volts that is PCM compliant. 12 volt test lights are a no no here. Save that for your starter and tail light issues . A wiring diagram is a must if you ever feel the circuit may be computer controlled . Pcm's and body control modules control things you'd never suspect are computer related. Your jeep is an '87 so there's far less chance of too much PCM controlled items and won't have a BCM . But do take great care of what computer controlled items it does. I can go on but you get the point. Tread careful and look before you leap. If not sure , ask first , research and/or hit the books. Welcome aboard and thank you for your membership .

Thanks for the warm welcome and the sharing of your experience. I've gone ahead and replaced the pump and got a good proper battery. I've checked and cleaned the fuel pump relay, and it's clicking and acting as it should. Still no fuel pump clicking on though. I'd hate to go buy some nice equipment because my pops has it all from being in the trade for 40+ years but unfortunately we can't get to it at the moment. Any idea where this leaves me? What's in between the relay and the pump? will be getting a cheapy voltometer tomorrow to see what kind of power if any is going to the pump

Look for the fuel pump ballast resistor . It is a white ceramic block that will have two 14 gauge wires on it . Also , I do not know if the RENIX era XJ's used a ballast resistor relay ( my '92 has one ) but that will be in line with this ballast resistor if there is one. The voltmeter will show a reading if it's good but you can try to bypass it just to test to see if the fuel pump gets current. Does there look like there are any issues with the wiring under the body to the fuel tank or the connector itself ? You may also want to disconnect the harness connector and perform a continuity check of the wiring to the plugs terminals as well for any shorts or corrosion . Double check terminal 87 on the fuel pump relay with the ignition on as soon as the key is turned on to see if the PCM is priming the fuel pump.

Last edited:
On my jeep it is on the firewall on the driver's side but you may find it on the fender well . If your jeep does have a ballast resistor fuel pump relay , it may be mounted outside of the power distribution center . That is where it is mounted on my '92 but it may vary on your '87 if you have one.

Looks like I'll be playing a game of hide and seek tomorrow. Some one had mentioned it could be my grounds. Any ideas on this? And if so where would the main ones be? He never said the grounds to the pump or just in general

Looks like I'll be playing a game of hide and seek tomorrow. Some one had mentioned it could be my grounds. Any ideas on this? And if so where would the main ones be? He never said the grounds to the pump or just in general

General grounds. They become an issue over time and could have you chasing sensors and other items that act up when voltages are low.

If you trouble shot to the pump verify the grounds and power there.

On the fuel injectors being loose: they will spin in the spots if your grab them and turn them but usually they are kind of hard to turn because the o-rings get hard and stick in place. There is an o-rings at the top, and then an o-ring at the bottom. Once you get the jeep to start, fuel make leak out at the o-rings. If it does, unbolt the fuel rail and replace the o-rings.

I get mine in the hardware store in the plumbing section. They just happen to be the same size as ones used in bathroom faucets. People will tell you they cannot be used and stuff will catch fire but the rubber is not really rubber so it doesn't get eaten by the fuel. I have done this on 5 or 6 vehicles with no adverse reactions.

Back