New to the lifting game

Stro4wd

Alright, you guys have been a great help so far so I wanna ask your opinion on lifts and tires. I am looking to upgrade from my stock wheels and need a little info (cause the morons at my local automotive spots ain't gotta clue)...

I wanna get BADASS tires on my new ride. Someone told me I could fit 33's on without a lift but I was thinking more like 35's.. what i need to know is:

a) how big a lift I need and whats the easiest way to get it done? (let it be known that i dont think i can do it myself)

b) What tires should I look into? I drive about 40 miles day for work.. so i need something durable and thats not gonna feel like an earthquake under me. I screw around offroad but nothing too too serious yet. Some rough trails but nothing I need tank traction for.

So the question is, what does this moderate jeeper need to do to turn his ride into a badass monster that can get him to work and allow him to play in the mud???????

O and if you need to know the model, 2003 X Freedom....

As always, you opinions help.. thanks boys and girls.

-Stro[addsig]

A three and a half inch Rubicon Express lift will look good, and I think 35's will fit that lift. Also, don't forget, you may have to lower the center skidplate/transmission mount, due to the vibration you will get from having the driveshaft at too high an angle.

The Rubicon Express lift kit isn't too bad to install. I did one by myself for a JeepChick, and it took me about 10 hours. [addsig]

We need a Badass Freedom around here and I for one am glad youare going to build one. I am sure ecor will be a big source of information on this subject. Good Luck! tug[addsig]

The RE 3.5 shouldn't be enough for 35's. I'm doing a tera with 4.5 springs and a 1 inch body to clear 35's. coil springs too. It would be great for 33's. You can't run 33's without a lift. I ran 32's for a couple months before my lift. You would rub like crazy when turning though. I would go the tera 3 inch and you will be fine with 33's and should be reasonable. To go to 35's you have to do a lot of mods. drive train, sye.etc. Oh yah and the goodyear mt/r's are the best tires by far.[addsig]

steelerman is right, go w/ a 4" or so lift and run 33s, especially if it is your dd[addsig]

i knew you guys would hook me up...

one last thing, what kinda $$$$ outlay should I be expecting??? .. saying i go with the 4 inch lift and 33' Goodyear mt/rs... and for argument sake (or that fact that I am scared s-less to do it) lets say I wont be doing the lift myself...

Thanks again :evil:

edited by: Stro4wd, Jun 18, 2003 - 03:23 PM[addsig]

I would really just shop around and call some different 4 wheel drive shops. I'm normally anti 4 Wheel Parts but you can call them to get some price ideas. Then again they might be okay doing a 3-4 inch suspension lift. I wouldn't trust them doing a big project for 35's though. They have inexpensive pro comp 4 inch lifts etc. that would suit you okay. Bet you are looking at around $2500 at least for lift, tires, and wheels. Stock wjeels won't hold anything over 31's. I don't know if you saw my post or where you live but I just posted my stuff for sale. I think a tera 3 inch with a 1 inch body would be good too. [addsig]

Change of Badges (New Lift Installed at ECOR) Pics
Tech Forum,,, answers all of your questions...

Search tab is to the left, actually faster, than
paging to find it, even though it is very recent
and active.

Good luck,, 35's Need a min, of 4" Suspension
AND at least 1.75 Body, most report.

Also,,, from 33 to 35 means all the extra lengthening
'stuff' and a big jump in cost and extras,,,

Same breath,, that's where I'm headed,, maybe in stages. :cool:

Check out the thread above,, change of Badges,, Rob's will
post a How To, Hopefully after Tennessee some time, as the
post is, remains an excellent source.

Again, Good Luck!

edited by: USMPK9, Jun 18, 2003 - 09:27 PM[addsig]

With it all said and done I would like to throw in my two cents worth...ching ching..lol
If your planning on going over 3 inches of lift you will have to drop the transfer-case and possibly change the cantour angles on your diff.s
It sounds like your not sure about doing it your self...
So I would say shop around and talk to every off road shop till you find one you like and feel comfortable with and have them do it...you wont be sorry since installing them is time comsuming and labor intensive. And they can help you with reseting up your rig.[addsig]

missed this post just found it...

To run 35's you need at least 5.5"
Most of the kits that allow you to run this size tire are very complicated and should be done by someone with a very mechanical knowledge. If you are thinking about running 33's you can get away with a good 3" lift. I would check out the BDS kits and the Skyjacker 4" kit. The other thing that nobody seems to do anymore is The daystar spacers. You can run 3" spacers in the front and 2" spacers in the rear and run 33's, you will need to change your shocks and won't be able to disconnect your axle but you can run 33's. The kit is around $280.00 with everything. Remember it is not for the hardcore offroading but it does the trick. The BDS kit will run you close to double that and the skyjacker kit is more then that. As for the tires they very. If you need pricing that is more exacting email me and let me know. We are give out a discount to members of Jeepz.com

[addsig]

Did the lift fix the problem with the rubbing? I hate that.

Steelers rule.[addsig]

Back