addotta

Hi all,
I'm not new, I'm re-aquainting....But need all the help I can get anyway..I just bought an 88 cherokee laredo ( all stock ), would like to mod it out but on a budget...here's the website www.olean4x4.jeepz.com...(I know, I used the template to build the site, but it was there and it was free). Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
addotta[addsig]

hey! welcome aboard... check out rustys for that 3" lift you want... that's where i got mine... check out my tech writeups and such on my website:

http://dingus.tqhosting.com/jeep/

best of luck, and nice clean jeep you got there![addsig]

Hello. Nice Jeep you got. I pulled off the list of what you want to do. And I got some names for you to look into.

Engine...........4.0 I6 with K&N Cold air intake
Mike Leach I-6 Headers - K&N E1796 filter fits over air hose, get thorley headers they are better

Transmission...........Same but rebuilt
$1,700 for rebuild approx. Take it easy!
Tires............31" BFGs
If you cannot get a lift, but can rebuild springs, get 255/70R15 They are nice and WIDE and are comparable to 31's
Lift.............3" lift
Look into Trailmaster, they are very good. I got that on my truck now. 1,300 for 4 inch lift with labor too!
Shocks...........Skyjacker
Skyjacker is nice, yes... but, I prefer the Trailmaster shocks (40 dollars each)
Exhaust..........Flowmaster 70 Series
with 2.5 Inlet / Outlet
Ehhhh.... 70 series is kinda quiet. Get a 40 series 3 chamber. run it 2.25". 2.5" is a litle tooo etreme for a mild engine.
Nerf Bars........Any
SmittyBilt has some nice nerf bars. 120 dollars for 2. Requires drilling though.

[addsig]

addotta....nice start to the webpage and good luck on your jeep. I gotta say one thing though those pop up ads on your page are killer. You get 2-3 of them every time you click something. [addsig]

Wow,
You guys are fast...Thanks for all the hints. Sorry about all the pop ups on the webpage..but that's what i get for going with the free package..does anyone here live in the WNY area?
I'll be checking around here to see if I can find someone to do the work I want done at a reasonable price..When and if I do...I'll let anyone that cares know.
Thanks again....
one more thing...how do you lubricate the tranfer cases and what should I use?[addsig]

there is only one transfer case, it is lubricated with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and there are drain/fill bolts(plugs) you have to deal with. i think mine ('90 XJ) holds 4 quarts.

-nate[addsig]

Ok, I told you I was going to have a bunch of questions....Here's the next one.
This may sound a little weird but here we go.

I was showing the Jeep to a couple of friends of today and they wanted to see how it rode in the dirt. OK...this is the first time in the dirt in a long time.
I shifted the beast into the 4l position (I Think...you'll know why in a minute) all the way back...the 'part time' light turned off and started in a field across the street...went like a bat outta h***..that was fun.
when I got back i shifted out of 4 wheel drive but the red marker did not change positions. I can't tell if it is out of 4wheel drive or not. the part time light back on for a few minutes then shut off,,I did not see a green light on the instrament panel at all..

so here is the ?...How do I tell if it is still in 4l or not? and if it is how do I get it out? any fixes?

Thanks everyone.
addotta

edited by: addotta, Apr 21, 2003 - 11:51 PM[addsig]

Well on my ZJ it is easy to tell, all you need to do is put your jeep in neutral and then just slide the lever up to 4H or 2WD which ever yours has and then slide it over to the left a little and it should fix in a noch designed for it. There may just be an electrical short and the light stays in 4L.. If that isn't it, i'm not sure what to do[addsig]

This is a close quote atempt of a repost from some time ago.

I hope this helps ok!

Go to a dirt or better yet muddy area. start out in 2 wheel drive. Give it a little much gas and let it spin a bit. Now shift into 4 hi turn the wheels all the way to the right. Stick your head out the window look at the front tire and romp on the gas. If you get a face full of mudd you are ingauged into four wheel drive. lol just kidding

Now wipe off your face a bit and drive a couple of mins. get a feel for it. Now go to 4 lo you will notice an extream reduction in speep and an much more noticeable tourque responce. Slower by far. Now shift back to 4 hi and then back to 2 wd. You will be able to feel it no more need for lights.

Just a funny I remember from some time back! tug[addsig]

sorry about the popups on the site...as soon as my raise goes through I promise to pay for an ad free site...

I don't see the pop ups cause I use a web filter (proxomitron) to get rid of them.

Thanks for stopping by.. :) [addsig]

addotta....I dont know how everyone else feels but I was always told that 4wd low is for stuck situations and you shouldnt be doing more than 5ish mph if you need to be in 4wd low. I dont have any reasoning behind that besides thats what more experienced off-roaders told me....has anyone else heard that?[addsig]

i know in 4low you will top out at about 30 mph... we had our rigs in 4low at paragon when i went with rob in december, we did 20 mph along the access roads easily with no problems.[addsig]

I only go 4 Lo when I have the real need to go 4 lo. Steep climbs, Stuck or near stuck or any time it is so rough that speed is a bad thing. I also use it alot in rough areas where I am going down hill. You will know when it is time to go Lo and when it is time to go Hi just get out there and do it. Tug[addsig]

Welcom aboard Ad, nice to have you here :)

I deal with a place called East Coast Off Road near Seracuse sp?

East Coast Off Road

I just checked it, seems the servers down but if you keep checking it, I'm sure it will be up and running soon. Talk to the man named Darrin, and he'll be able to help you out (nicest people too lol)

I hope this helps..please stick around and keep us updated (and help us out too lol)

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Back