newly acuired project

new2jeepguy

Ok. As my name says I am a new jeep enthusiest. I have been helping my friend build his 87 cherokee. Well now I am hooked.
I have a 1985 2 door cherokee. That was donated by my neighbor. (traded for labor on ball joints)
Anyway this vehicle comes with the GM 2.8 L V6 (After about half an hour of research I knew I had a DOG for an engine.)
Are there any other problems with this earlier platform of the XJ.
Now my original plan was the obvious choice of the jeep 4.0 L
I am told that this is not possible due to the length of the 4.0
Is this true or not?
And if it is true how much of a pain is it to convert this particular model to a v8 vehicle?
Any input helps
Thanks
Jon

Welcome to the Z.

It's difficult to convert that early XJ to the 4.0L due to the length of the I6 engine. Jeep added clearance to the firewall and radiator support in '87 to make room for the longer engine.

A v8 would fit but it will be tight. I'd recommend the GM 4.3L Vortec engine for power and compact size. Or there are bolt-on options like the 3.1L and maybe the 3.4L. GM Performance was making a 4.3L that is a direct bolt-in replacement for the 2.8L, not sure if they still offer it or if it's cost prohibitive for you.

Definatly for ease, I would also suggest a GM V6, one difference, I would suggest a 3.8 from a camaro. weighs a little less than the 4.3, about the same power ratings depending on the year you source.

Like everyone else said, I would go with a nicer GM v6.

I would try a supercharged 3.8. That might spice things up.

The L67 is the 2nd generation supercharged v6 3.8L. It is a bad ass motor with some serious potenital. Never seen one in a jeep before but it should bolt in.

well I got a little deeper in to this thing and have found some other problems :lol:
To start the 4 wheel drive dosen't work due to the vaccum actuator connecting rod being broken.
So here is what I've decided to do...
First problem: Power going to go with chevy 350 and trans/ transfer case ect...
next I am getting some dana 44s front and rear (junkyard Dive)
have those built at a buddys shop
dose anyone have input on lockers like is air or electric better?
and would like input from anyone who has done this swap or just any advice in general \
thanks for all the great input sofar
p.s. to those of you who may say its not a jeep any more. It started its life with a GM engine so therefore I am simply upgrading:p

Here are some starting pics. It is in its 4.5 year resting place. We pulled it home. new coil and ign module, Now shes alive. But getting ready to be put down after emissions. and classic plates. then I dont have to emission it ever again...

i couldnt find any "reviews" on my GM V6... is it really that bad?

i wouldn't say the 2.8 is that bad of a motor. It will last for quite a long time--this is mainly due to the simple fact that the internal engine components never see any stress generated by power as the engine doesn't have any. As many have said a GM v6 would be the perfect swap. I personally would go with either a Vortec 4.3 or the 3.8. The Voirtec 4.3 makes more power than a TBI 350 does. V8 performance in a small package. the 3.4 is also a VERY potent engine HOWEVER 3.8 can be built into beyond nasty. The 3.8 was designed and made through the Buick division and has a very stout block with plenty of meat and girth to be stroked to a 5.0 and and still be supercharged. A properly setup 3.8 will chew up and spit out 350's and quite a few 454's all day long.

Back