No 4x4

Tbates

I've got a 97 xj and the 4x4 doesn't work. The floor shifter engages with no t-case noise and the linkage is hooked up but it does t work any ideas

Has the 4wd ever worked? Could be the chain in the xfer case. What xfer case do you have? I know it might sound stupid but if you just bought this jeep, does it have a front drive shaft?

I did just get the jeep and I'm actually a tech at a ford dealership but only own Chrysler vehicles. It does have a drive shaft it was the first and only thing I checked by the time I get home it's dark so have not had time to check into it so I thought I would get some suggestions

Does the 4x4 dash light come on? How did you test the 4x4 - just in a field, or did you get stuck first and find out the hard way :rolleyes:

Put it in 4x4. Lift one front wheel and block the others. If the lifted wheel can spin, look to see if the driveshaft spins. If it does, the problem is in the tcase. If not, then it's in the front diff, IF no-one swiped the front axle shafts. You should be able to see the axle ujoints behind the wheels. They should spin with the wheel. If not, then it's a hub problem.

I did not notice that the light came on on the dash, and I didn't get stuck but when I got it home tried to climb some rocks to test it out and only had back tires spinning. The axle shafts are I. Their, and when it's on a lift both front tires spin I I spin one side by hand then the other one does as well

I was wondering about linkage because all t case problems I've had in the past it either makes a hell of a noise or it won't let you move the shifter

Back