No start

I am really sorry we haven't figured this out.. Have you put some gas directly into the carb and try to start the engine yet? (if not, please do). You have checked power at the bat, ignition switch, coil, starter, wires and plugs are sparking, This is proving to be one of those hard to diagnose over the internet issues. Try putting gas in the carb and let us no if it starts.

Agree with 69jeepcj . Add fuel to carburetor to attempt to start. Please test ignition primary and secondary circuit for voltage. See if you are getting voltage at the positive terminal ignition on and negative terminal while cranking. Also , verify that all wiring connections to starter solenoid are correct and no damage or shorts or any blown fusible links anywhere. Understanding that only a blower motor was swapped in but since there is a no start condition all items in the ignition circuit must be verified since there is no engine start when turning the key. Please start with voltage check at ignition coil . This will determine what direction to move in. If no voltage is found at coil , next the ignition feed from ignition switch to starter relay which feeds ignition coil must be checked. If voltage is found up to that point , it will be necessary to diagnose ignition module ( dura spark) . You previously posted there was spark but did every spark plug receive this same quality of spark and was the spark considered strong or weak ? Yes , as 69jeepcj said , it is proving difficult to make this repair over the net but we will continue to help in every way we can . We will,first need to know what results have been found this far. I.E. , is the fuel pump providing steady fuel to,at least fill,fill the float bowl and is voltage found at ignition coil. I also would like to say I regret the level of dismay your experiencing . I'm sure you don't want to give up but certainly want to know what positive direction to proceed. Please post your results as you can . Thank you for your reply and would like to see this a success . Greg

Last edited:

This coming weekend I will work on it and follow the guidance instructions you all have provided. Frustrating but also a good learning experience. This is first time i have every really 'worked' on a vehicle outside of changing oil, tires and replacing stereos. Thanks again for everyone's input and will follow up this coming weekend if not before with additional questions.

This coming weekend I will work on it and follow the guidance instructions you all have provided. Frustrating but also a good learning experience. This is first time i have every really 'worked' on a vehicle outside of changing oil, tires and replacing stereos. Thanks again for everyone's input and will follow up this coming weekend if not before with additional questions.

Hopefully it will be with answers.

I don't think you have a major problem but finding it is proving to be.. If you put fuel into the carb, just put about a half inch to a inch in a glass and pour it directly into the carb and start. If it starts you have a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Good luck and keep us posted.

Added the fuel and still did not start. Same as before. Being at a loss continues.

Broke down and had it towed to shop. The issue is the ignition switch in the column is broken so does not keep engaged. Now have to search and order new ignition switch.

Real,sorry you could not achieve this on your own. I'll spare the questions of diagnosis until a happier day.

Never thought about the ignition switch and having it crap out while doing the other work just bad luck. Since there are no stores around where I live that carry specific parts like that for an '85 I had to order. Will hopefully have by Wednesday. Going to have the shop replace and work on the steering leak as well. My wife is tired of me working on the CJ for now. In a way I am as well as I would rather be driving it than looking at it sitting in garage with pieces everywhere.

I would think local stores would have that, jeep used GM steering columns which I would assume use GM switches.

New ignition switch installed and now runs. Shop guy recommended new wiring throughout and I agree as I have been thinking about that as well. Recommendations on good harnesses to look into?

Back