Oil where it shouldn't be!

Joopin

Super Moderator

Okay, I started to take apart my air intake today to start making my own performance filter tube thingy... anywho, I took the rubber flex tube off the filter box and I noticed some fluid sitting in the groves of the tube. I assumed it was water but I stuck my finger in there and it ended up being oil! What the @#$! is that doing in there?? I hope this isn't going to turn into a huge problem for me... can anyone tell me if this is normal? Should I be worried? Oh its a 91 4.0... fyi Thanks[addsig]

I believe that there should be a little bit there and that it's ok. I found some there too, when I made my new intake (pics to follow soon), and I'm sure it came from that tube that goes to the top of the valve cover from the air intake tube. I also don't think it hurts because in my 59 chevy apache, I used an oil bath filter and that motor ran strong forever. I hope i'm right
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Sweet thanks bigTliltodd, thats a load off my mind. This is the first fuel injected vehicle believe it or not! It would be great to see the pics of your intake too... I am going to buy a K&N Filter today, tomorrow I will make the aluminum part here at work... ya we have scrap aluminum tubing etc. just laying around, its great![addsig]

Actually there could be a problem! The good news is that it is cheap and easy to fix. Your local Dodge dealer has a replacement part that replaces the PCV with the tube and everything for about $15 - it is super easy to replace and they should know exactly what you are talking about. Is there oil/moisture mix on top of the air filter also? That is the way my 90 4.0 was and the fix was the cheap little piece from Dodge![addsig]

Timl, is the PCV the little elbow on the top of the motor?

Joopin\' I'll have pics on here tonite, I'm at work right now. If you can, wait til you see my pics. Not that the way I did it is the best, but no one has pics of the way they did theirs and it made it difficult for me. This will make it alot easier for you!!!![addsig]

Back