Oil

Do you loose 2 quarts of oil and need to be topped off within 3000 miles?

Yes. That said, it was 5w-30 since it was in over the winter and my daughter mostly drives it just to school and back. It took 7 months to put on 3000 miles. A 10w-30 would probably burn less. I have Rotella T5 10w-30 in it now and we'll see how it looks after 3000 miles. I'm betting the iron will be a lot lower. The next UOA will have the Pennzoil column bumped over with the new column on the left and the unit averages will be updated.

I run NOTHING but MOBIL 1 or ROTELLA full syn oils!! and not just in my jeep but all 4 of the vehicles i currently own, and every car i've owned since they came out. I switched my jeep to mobil 1 when i bought it (108k miles) and when i took it out to hop the 4.0l up to over 300hp it was the cleanest oilpan and whole motor that i have EVER taken apart (and i've taken a lot of motors apart even with fewer miles that were MUCH dirtier!!! and DO NOT use FRAM filters, they are CRAP!! WIX is the cheapest brand of filter you should EVER use!!! well if you really care about your engine anyway, and the straight 6s are damn near BULLET PROOF, they will run forever if you maintenance them correctly!!

I first heard of this situation a couple of weeks back from one of our drivers, whom owns a Jeep. I'm concerned with the zinc phosphate issue and considering AMSOIL (since it's the only one with even slightly elevated zinc in the mixthat's available in this consumer desert I live in). Last time I had the pan off the rods and rod caps looked clean and in great shape, PO installed a 360 and apparently not long before I bought 'Betty'. Even since my street hot rod days been using Hastings filters though, firstly for the Densite and later for the enhanced media and excellent construction of their filters.

Back