PCV Valve

mcarrea

Hey everyone. I'd like to start out by saying that I have learned a great deal just by reading the posts on this site. Now my question. My 94 YJ has been leaking oil from under the valve cover. A mechanic friend prescribed the problem as being a gasket problem (duh) and could also be attributed to a clogged PCV valve. Another friend said that this valve is a part of the valve cover and cannot be removed from the cover, and to replace the PCV valve you have to replace the valve cover. Is this true or not? I cannot find anything about it on the internet. Another question is where do i find a new valve cover...neither Quadratec, JC Whitney, Autozone, or Jegs sells them. Possibly a dealership item? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

there is no actual pcv VALVE... but there is a pcv system, and yes, the valve cover is part of it.. and you do NOT have to replace it... only clean it... the most important thing to take care of in the pcv system are the hoses... just make sure everything going into and coming out of the valve cover is clean and crackfree

yj tub on a cj frame

Oh yeah, about those hoses, the one coming out of the back is freshly broken (courtesy of the two friends)....now what?

There is no such thing as PCV on your jeep, but there is CCV ;) Closed Crankcase Ventilation. Make sure all the vacuum hoses are in good shape, none collapsed on themselves.

There should be a small orfice in one of the large tubes into the valve cover, where it connects to the valve cover. This small hole often gets clogged and causes the CCV system to run in reverse or to build excessive crankcase pressure, causing all the oil leaks.

The hyphen

That smaller hose on the right that goes down to the little vacuum tends to get clogged. Get a compressor or some compressed air and shoot air through there until oil and stuff stops coming out of it.

jps4jeep said:
If all else fails, drop a chevy 350 in there!! hehe

Welcome back!
If only I could describe to you exactly how much I want to do that.

As for replacing the hoses, just any vacuum hose or is there a "special" hose, and if so, where do I get it?

Back