PH8A Oil Filter on your 4.0?

lethaldose

maybe somebody else has already figured this one out and told everybody but me haha but i wasnt happy with the puny size of the PH16 so i took a few mins in my local advanced auto and tracked down a filter that had the same threads and placement of seal and i came up with the PH8A i think its a ford filter maybe not but it works i added a little extra oil to the pan and its good to go no leaks just like the old PH16 .. the size difference is very noticable

image-missing.png

That seems like a great idea. My only question would be if the amount of pressure it takes to pump oil through it is the same. It should be, right?

yeah pressure has stayed the same on the gauge actually a little more PSI on cold start then it levels out to 40 or lil above ... i like it cause you have more surface area not only to filter but also to COOL the oil

no problem i'd figured somebody had already copped the idea somewhere just kinda checking to see if anybody else had the idea

Been doing that for a few years on my 2.5L so I'll add that it works on both engines. Thanks for posting up though. How about some part numbers for the larger WIX, Mobil1, etc.?

didnt know if it worked for anything other than 4.0's great that it does almost everybody can benefit .... i'll look into some cross refs see if i cant get some other PN's

that was nice to know, i wonder if you could use the same filter on my dad's AMC 304, i doubt it but its worth a shot. that was a great thing to learn thats all my dad has sitting on the shelf in the garage all we drive is fords and all we wheel is jeeps

I used to work for Carquest about 20 years ago. The Wix number is a 51515. One of the best filters around, they make all the big truck filters. We actually cut several filters in half, the Wix was the most solidly built. And yes the two interchange. Used to interchange the two on my 340 Duster and Roadrunners, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back