Play in steering

ejdjeep

I have a 89 YJ with alot of play in the manual steering. What is the best way to correct this problem$$. Thanks :-?

UPDATE
After further review I found that the play is coming from the input side of the steering box. I can wiggle the steering axle and not move the tie rods and etc. on the output side of the box. So, I took advice GEAH and turned the bolt tight. It seemed to tighten up the alot of the play. THANKS :-O

edited by: ejdjeep, Mar 03, 2003 - 05:24 PM[addsig]

There is something worn out or loose. Get under the Jeep and give her a look to see what is bad. Start with the steering coloum and work your way through the system. It will help to get some one to help you by moveing the wheel while you look to see where th slack is. Another great way to find the problem is to go in for an inspection and quote for the repairs of the front end at a shop that will look and tell you the problems in hopes of getting you business. Then just tell em you want to get a second oppion. Post your findings here. Good Luck in the adventure Tug :-D [addsig]

edit: 1st thing to do is remove the plastic frame cover on the front its held on by 4 screws I believe. On the top of your steering gear there is an adjustment screw. Turn a 1/4 turn get in and try the wheel. Repeat until the play is gone. If there is no adjustment left you'll prolly have to replace it.

edited by: GEAH, Mar 02, 2003 - 03:04 PM[addsig]

ejdjeep:

Do you have a lift on your YJ?

Possibility:
Have someone turn the steering back and forth while you look under the front where the short steering arm (steering box/pitman arm to tie rod) connects
to the tie rod (long arm that goes from wheel to wheel) The tie rod can rotate causing play in the steering, usually caused by to much angle from not installing a dropped pitman arm.

And as Tug said, also look at all of the steering connections for free play.
It should be easy to see.
When all else fails. Get an estimate.

Opinion: Look for loose, worn, or incorrectly installed parts before making any adjustments.[addsig]

Back