Plz help!

dookie.kim

So I'm new to the Jeep community and relied too much on a friend of mine to help me fix up a 94 YJ. I ended up having to go solo and ran in to a big problem that could really make or break my bank.

I bought a B&M Short shifter only to find out that it doesn't fit my transmission. I had to assume that the transmission was replaced prior to me buying the jeep. In order to see if the new transmission even fit, I had to remove the 4x4 transmission (which was a huge pain in the butt.) because there was a plate attached to the 4x4 shifter covering the transmission mount. It's a little hard to explain being new to Jeeps so let me get to the point.

I re-installed the old transmission and 4x4 and now I can't start from 1st gear. 2nd is a little ok. I haven't tried 3rd. I can reverse fine. It feels like when I give it gas in 1st, it jerks forward like there is no gas, when the tank is full. My, so reliable buddy, says that it sounds like its stuck in 4x4. But I have moved the 4x4 through all of its settings from 2h and so forth but it jerks the same throughout. Also, in any drive gears, when the wheel is turned all the way it starts wobbling extremely bad like its trying to straighten itself out.

Any ideas??? You could really be saving my life!
Ty in advance!

dookie.kim said:
So I'm new to the Jeep community and relied too much on a friend of mine to help me fix up a 94 YJ. I ended up having to go solo and ran in to a big problem that could really make or break my bank.

I bought a B&M Short shifter only to find out that it doesn't fit my transmission. I had to assume that the transmission was replaced prior to me buying the jeep. In order to see if the new transmission even fit, I had to remove the 4x4 transmission (which was a huge pain in the butt.) because there was a plate attached to the 4x4 shifter covering the transmission mount. It's a little hard to explain being new to Jeeps so let me get to the point.

I re-installed the old transmission and 4x4 and now I can't start from 1st gear. 2nd is a little ok. I haven't tried 3rd. I can reverse fine. It feels like when I give it gas in 1st, it jerks forward like there is no gas, when the tank is full. My, so reliable buddy, says that it sounds like its stuck in 4x4. But I have moved the 4x4 through all of its settings from 2h and so forth but it jerks the same throughout. Also, in any drive gears, when the wheel is turned all the way it starts wobbling extremely bad like its trying to straighten itself out.

Any ideas??? You could really be saving my life!
Ty in advance!

Sounds like either clutch not together right or somethin or the 4x4 lincage is hooked up wrong or out of alignment

Maybe the shifter forks are not lined up properly inside the transmission. If it was the clutch you would be able to start in any gear.

Saddle Tramp said:
Maybe the shifter forks are not lined up properly inside the transmission. If it was the clutch you would be able to start in any gear.

Not if it was binding on something

The steering wheel "wobbling" at full turn tells me that you're in 4 wheel drive at that point. This sounds like an automatic, is it? If so, there probably is something wrong with your shifter - an adjustment, part missing, not assembled right. The transmission has detents in it for 1,2D, and R. If the shifter does not line up with those detents you might not get it into that gear. If you disconnect the shifter linkage at the transmission you can move that detent lever by hand and count the detents. Pull it out of park before disconnecting the linkage and be sure to block the Jeep carefully and put on the ebrake - you don't want it to roll when you pull it out of park. Once you feel where the detents are you can adjust your B&M shifter to line up to the right detents. Best of luck - John

Not if it was binding on something

If the clutch was binding on something inside the bell housing or as part of the release system from the clutch pedal to the fork at the bell housing logic tells me the binding would not be related to gear selection inside the transmission. However when the shifter top is installed onto the transmission the shifter forks need to line up with the clutch/syncro sleeves in order for the transmission to be shifted from gear to gear. In this case maybe one of the forks hit and the other didn’t or something to that end causing the limited ability to shift. If all else seems in order I would pull the shifter top and make sure of proper alignment. Also, it would be helpful to identify what transmission you really have.

As far as the front wheels wobbling, it sounds like you are in 4 wheel drive. Driving in 4 wheel on dry pavement will eventually break something in your drive train from the stress of binding up. On a 94 Wrangler you have the goofy disconnect at the front axle in lieu of lockable hubs that may or may not be function properly and could be a contributor to your problems but I would pull the front drive line out and see if that takes care of the wheel hop while turning. If it does then I would lean towards the transfer case being stuck in 4 wheel drive.

could it be possiable he has 2 different set of gears in the front and rear axle causeing the front wheel hop with it being stuck in 4x4 try disconecting the front drive shaft and see if the wheel hop goes away if it does he has 2 different sets of gears in it

Saddle Tramp said:
If the clutch was binding on something inside the bell housing or as part of the release system from the clutch pedal to the fork at the bell housing logic tells me the binding would not be related to gear selection inside the transmission. However when the shifter top is installed onto the transmission the shifter forks need to line up with the clutch/syncro sleeves in order for the transmission to be shifted from gear to gear. In this case maybe one of the forks hit and the other didn’t or something to that end causing the limited ability to shift. If all else seems in order I would pull the shifter top and make sure of proper alignment. Also, it would be helpful to identify what transmission you really have.

As far as the front wheels wobbling, it sounds like you are in 4 wheel drive. Driving in 4 wheel on dry pavement will eventually break something in your drive train from the stress of binding up. On a 94 Wrangler you have the goofy disconnect at the front axle in lieu of lockable hubs that may or may not be function properly and could be a contributor to your problems but I would pull the front drive line out and see if that takes care of the wheel hop while turning. If it does then I would lean towards the transfer case being stuck in 4 wheel drive.

But he said start not get into the gear

Back