poppin out

Burger

My four wheel drive doesnt always engage it kind of has a mind of its own iguess you could say? When it does go in it goes good until it decides to pop out.....or even when i put it in reverse.....what would cause this? Thanks guys!

You may not be getting it to engage well when putting it in. We had this problem with our TJ, where I thought it was in, but would pop back out. When you go to put it in 4lo be sure to have a very slow roll going on, just barely moving, you'll find that it engages better that way than if you are stopped and put it in.

Be well,
Richard

Last edited:
not trying to hijack the thread but mines does the exact same thing when i engage it into 4L, 4H is fine and i kinda thought it might have to do something with linkage, but was worried i'd might have to buy another transfer caser or something. how can we fix this issue???

mines has a 4" lift if that helps ;)

It's got nothing to do with the front axle disconnect or the need for a posilok, why just throw junk answers out there unless you understand the problem.

The most common reason a jeep jumps out of 4wd is because the linkage is out of adjustment and does not let 4lo fully engage. It's likely to pop out of 4lo when the chassis flexes the slightest bit.

Rokes, what year and model jeep do you have? What style of lift, body or suspension?

burger, what type of 2" lift do you have, body or suspension?

My Jeep had that issue after I dumped the T-Case drop that was installed with my first lift. You can fix this by adjusting the linkage. I'd suggest you have a friend help because it took me a long time to get mine adjusted alone. (Under jeep, set linkage, in jeep test, under adjust, in test, under re-adjust....)

However, I did not like the factory z-link linkage setup so I installed a direct shifting linkage from Novak Conversions. This did reverse the shift pattern, but it is SOOOO MUCH BETTER than the stock linkage in my opinion. You can solidly feel the t-case shift each time and it never slips now.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to do some more adjusting on the linkage this weekend......is there a trick to knowing that your in for sure without climbing a hill and slinging mud? Can you jack it up on jackstands and get the same results? Thanks!

ok.....so I put the jeep on jackstands adjusted the linkage and had it engaging in 4hi and 4lo everytime........took it off the stands and went to go try it and had 4hi sometimes and absolutely no 4lo......? weird? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sounds like you may have worn parts inside the transfer case that don't allow shifting under a load. I'd bet worn pads on the shift forks, and maybe worn shift collars. Have you checked the level and condition of the transfer case fluid?

bounty - mines is a 99 Sahara with a 4" Skyjacker suspension lift, trac bars, and 31" x 12.50" 15's. i hardly use the 4wd so it's not a big deal, but i think it'd be great to understand the issue better and maybe figure out with your guys help how to fix the issue :)

Back